Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quick slap question.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jonas., Jun 3, 2005.

1. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    hey, i've been slapping for quite a while now (obviously not as long as some of you! ) but i'm getting nervous that i might have picked up a bad technique.

(see diagram below) i slap with the straight bit of section B that rests on the table if you were to lie you hand flat on one. i know i'm not meant to slap with the joint at all, so i haven't made that mistake, but for some reason i got the suspicision i might be doing it wrong. i labeled the diagram futher to help with any instructions you'd be willing to give me.

i am self taught, and have read lots of lessons on the net, but this little dilemma was holding me back

thanks for any help :hyper:

Attached Files:

2. Well, it will be different for everyone, but I'll tell ya what I learned off of the Slap Bass Program(Awesome video if you haven't checked it out). You take your string plucking hand, in my case, my right hand, and hit the string with the bony part of your right thumb. That part is where you put the line to seperate sections A & B. After striking the string you should bounce off the string to allow it to ring. That is the basic way to slap the string.

Oh, BTW, is that your hand or somebody elses?? :ninja:

3. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    its someone elses hand :p

i thought hitting with the joint is a big no-no.. or is that the joint from the thumb to the hand.

4. I use section B, near the tip of my thumb.

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I use the joint between A and B and my thumb is approx 45 degrees to the string. That allows a more pronounced ring and crispness, IMO.

Try to experienment w/ what sounds best and is most comfortable for you. I saw this BADA$$ player for Dave Koz once...he had all his fingers open and used a motion towards the floor when he slapped...looked like his hand was made out rubber... really weird looking, but he was really good!!!

6. Sir_gabealot

Sir_gabealot

Jun 1, 2005
    i also use the bit between a and b. i thouhgt thats wat ure sposed to use??? eh well if it sounds good stick with it!!!

nice manicure btw. :D

7. Instead of hitting the string, I strike through the string and it never seemed to dampen the sound.

I personally hit the fingerboard as my thumb becomes parallel with the string, using my wrist as the primary source of motion.

8. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    NICE FINGERNAILS!

9. Is that a french manicure??

10. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    this isn't even my hand, i just found it on google, lol

11. :rollno:

:D