Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicoli, Nov 26, 2004.

1. So I bought this used Peavey 1x15 a year or so ago and the back label that states how many ohms it is has been peeled off. Would it's impedance be stamped on the speaker itself or anything like that if I open it up?

This hasn't been an issue, but now I have an amp that is only rated to go down to 8 ohms so I'm a little concered about the impedance of the cab.

Thanks.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You can use a digital multimeter and measure DC resistance. The meter will typically read about 80% of the rated impedance, so for instance a 4 ohm speaker will read about 3.2 ohms on the meter, and an 8 ohm speaker will read about 6.5 ohms on the meter.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    If you have the serial number, you can e-mail Peavey and they should be able to give you all the specs on that speaker.

4. How much would a multimeter cost me? I'll check for serial numbers next time I'm moving things around.

Thanks.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Your 1x15 is 8 ohm.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Radio Shack, $12 for a simple one. You can also use it and return it for a refund the next day if you are careful with the packaging.

7. Good call Eric.

Finger Blister, any particular reason you can say that for sure?

8. Hi. I assume you mean the label just pealed off the back of the speaker cabinet?

If so you can take out the speaker & there should be some labels on it. If it's a Scorpin speaker it will be marked either SP-15425 (which means it's 4 ohms) or SP-15825 (8 ohms). I don't know the codes for Black Widows off the top of my head, but you should be able to find them with 2 or 3 minutes of goggling...

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    peavey made many speakers in both 4 and 8 ohm models, so buy the multimeter to be sure.