1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick, stupid ohms question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Mar 24, 2006.

1. If I hook up two 8 ohm cabs to my Eden CXC-110(in addition to the internal 8 ohm speaker, what will the load be? The Eden site says this combo puts out 180 watts @ 8 ohms, 330 watts @ 4 ohms & 420 watts @ 2 ohms. I've been running it w/the internal speaker & a CX-110(8 ohm)extension cab, for 330 @ 4, but I'd like to get all the available power. Pardon me for being bad w/simple math...
    :rollno:

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It'll be 2.67 ohms. That'll probably give you something like 400 watts, more or less.

3. Correct. And this is the way to calculate the total impedance of parallel connected cabinets:
    1/R1+1/R2+1/R3+....=1/R total

So with 3 cabinets of 8 ohm each:
    1/8+1/8+1/8= 0.375 = 1/R total
    So R total = 1 / 0.375 = 2.66667 ohm.

4. I don't get it that it delivers full power at 2 ohm, but has a 8 ohm internal speaker. It totally makes no sense, because no one in the world (I know) is going to lug around with three speakers. :meh:

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The internal speaker probably only handles ~200 watts, and setting it up that way gives you the ability to run it with 2 8 ohm extensions or a 4 ohm extension and expand the rig for a bigger sound. IMO, thats engineered perfectly.

With the two extension cabs you should have quite a nice rig there, and each speaker will see the same amount of power so it'll be nice and balanced.

6. :hyper: I love TB.:hyper:

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    pickles has good comments, but I would add that you need to understand the head in this combo is a general purpose head, and can even be removed and used as such. It was not designed strictly/solely for use in this combo.

I have the older 330 and bought the combo cab later, and it works great. I even bought the little CXM-110 extension cab to go with. I love them. The "point source" nature of the coax speakers is awesome for pracitce, studio, and also many gigs.