1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick! Symptom relief for the (un)common cold?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blastoff99, Jan 11, 2013.

1. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I, who just said in another recent thread that I never get sick, am sick. I had my first cold in about a decade three weeks ago, and it took a long time to run its course. In fact, I'm not completely sure I was ever over it when it came back last night.

Since I'm not employed at the moment, I'm basically able to stay home and wait this out while pushing fluids and resting. This weekend, however, is a different story. I've got a long rehearsal and two services at church on Saturday, and two more services on Sunday.

Symptoms: severe nasal congestion alternating with a very runny nose; general malaise; random big sneezes; stuffed ears.

This would be bad if I were playing bass. But I'm doing FOH, so it's arguably worse that I can't hear.

Any suggestions for getting through the weekend? I've been doing fluids, rest, and utterly disgusting snorting of salt water. I have no real hope for getting my ears to unstuff, but any suggestions for how to be less miserable would be certainly appreciated. As I said, I haven't had one of these for a very long time, and don't know if they've invented some new planets since then.

Thanks.

2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I just drink buckleys until I'm drunk. I feel better after.

3. This works for me. I'm not a doctor and I make no gaurantees how this will affect you, so proceed at your own risk:

It used to be called Sudaphed, but now one of the active ingredients is also used to make crystal meth, so you have to show your ID and sign for it at the pharmacy counter, and I hope you're not a convicted felon. 60mg pseudoephedrine and 4mg chlorpheniramine every 4 to 6 hours. Relieves the pressure symptoms on your sinuses, watery eyes, etc.

Then I take two Airborne tablets in water (the recommended dose is one, but this is all natural stuff that can't really hurt you). It provides an immune system boost that lasts a little while anyway.

There are some really good zinc lozenges out there. Don't O.D. as zinc can be hard on you in large doses. Follow the recommended dosage.

Lots of water. Avoid processed sugars and alcohol, they seem to only make things worse with me when I have a cold and things I still need to get done.

Good luck.

4. blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Recovering drunk here. Nyquil is therefore not a great option, either.

Oh, I've also eaten Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa. It does help clear one out.

5. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Sorry, didn't know. but they do make buckleys without alcohol.

6. blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    No problem. At this point, there are no bad suggestions, just suggestions I may not take. ;)

7. I don't like drugs (at least the non natural ones) so i stay away from pills and sirups.

What i usually do is tea tree oil inhalations/gargling.

Just dump a kettle of boiling water in your sink, put a few drops of oil in it, put your face over it under a towel and breath in and out for 10 15 minutes.

If you have a sore throat, just put a few drops of oil in a glass of water and gargle a few times a day without swallowing.

It really kills all the bad stuff and helps you heal faster.

Tea tree oil is easy to find, cheap and works for pretty much anything.

8. blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Thanks, everybody.

Airborne and sudafed down the hatch. Don't have tea tree oil, so am hoping eucalyptus oil steaming will help. It smells like it ought to.

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    A few drops of eucalyptus on your pillow will help you get through the night.

Afrin works wonders if you need clear pipes for a few hours, but it's not exactly gentle. I wouldn't recommend it except when you *really* need it.

10. Eucalyptus will probably unclog you but that's it.

Tea tree oil is antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal, it will really help get rid of whatever it is you have.

It's really worth having around the house, it pretty much cures everything, from yeast infection, to ringworm, to a cold.

http://www.homeremediesweb.com/tea_tree_oil_health_benefits.php

11. Oils you inhale are pretty useful, was huffing Olbus oil (a branded mixture), taking pain killers, vitamins and plenty of fluids.

Vitamin and mineral supplements are useful, your body will be burning through its nutrients quicker and we rarely eat properly when we're under the weather. Particularly if its something you've been dealing with over a longer period.

12. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
  13. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    If you have the flu that is going around you are ****ed.

This one is nasty.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021