Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick TI Jazz Flats Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by beam, Nov 15, 2005.

1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Been reading a lot of reviews, and a bunch of them seem to mention that some of the strings aren't perfectly smooth.

Do these have some grabbiness to them that I should know about?
    I know they sound fantastic, but any comments on feel would be helpful, thanks!

2. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    The TI's can feel sticky at first, this goes away with 5-10 hours play...then they feel SMOOTH! Soundwise, they also open up after some time...they are very midrangey and punchy, but still warm...

3. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

Yea, the descriptions I keep reading about their tone are fabulous, but I was concerned a bit about the feel. 5-10 hours and it goes away? I could handle that I suppose.

I love the Labella Deep Talkin' flats, especially the way they feel...though I'm fairly sure the TIs are a bit different.

Others?

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    yes, they are very different....the Labella are more glass-like smooth, much higher tension and very deep sounding compared to the TI...

5. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

Hmm, well I suppose I'll have to give them a shot since thye have so many glowing reviews. I figure that's the only way I'm going to know.

The bass I want to put them on needs new strings, so I figure I'll get the roundwounds I want now, and then the TIs right after xmas, by then the rounds should be near needing replaced.

I figure these:
    http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf364.html
    should do, they seem to have more tension than these:
    http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf344.html

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I'm not sure I follow you, do you want a 36" set? which scale is your bass?

7. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

It's 34", but the 36" scale set has higher string tension, so I was wondering if it was worth it to go with that.
    I can always snip off the bit I don't need, but the gauges between the sets are different...the 36's aren't just longer 34s

8. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Well, if you fit a 36" string on a 34" bass the strings will not be as tight when turned to pitch, because the length is shorten...so the tension will be reduced. If you play a 34" go for the 34" string set...that's what it is designed for.

9. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

True.
    Though what about the gauge? They are different between the sets, I don't see why that would change, even if I cut the 36s to fit the 34.

In the end though, I dont' think it matters much. The gauge differences aren't huge at all.

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    the 34" string set is designed to be tuned for a 34" bass, therefore it would be naturally to go with that. TI strings are very precisely designed, so it would be best to stick with what the strings are designed for..A lot of people have asked for a higher tension jazz flat string, but TI only makes this one gauge for each scale...If you want a higher tension flat, people usually go for a light set of labella deep talkin...If you want the TI sound, you can also look into the Superalloy series, they are rounds but still have a TI sound...medium tension too.

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Regarding the feel of the TI Flats...

The TI's E & A strings have a small gap between the outer windings, and the windings on the D & G strings are wound tighter up against each other. This results in the D & G strings being very smooth, while the E & A strings have more of a texture that you can feel because of the gap between the windings. It's no biggie though, you get used to it.