1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick TRS Cable Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by insomniac2295, May 16, 2011.

  1. I'm working on a project involving a photo cell and a TRS jack. I need help identifying which part of the TRS jack is the sleeve terminal. Thanks!

    Here's the jack in question (upside down):
  2. JTE

    JTE Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    What the heck is that?!?? There's an easy way to figure this out. Plug in a TRS plug and see where the sleeve makes contact.

  3. This is a TRS plug, so there isn't any place to plug in another TRS plug. It's meant to connect to raw cable. Otherwise that would be a good idea. Here's a side shot:

  4. Keithwah


    Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    OK dude, here's what you're looking for. Melt a touch of solder of the case of the connector. The case is the ground on 1/4" (both balanced TRS and unbalanced TS), RCA, 3.5mm type connectors. Tin your ground wire, and reheat the spot on the case where you melted the solder, once hot enough for solder to flow (melt) lay the ground wire in, let it cool and snip off any loose end. Done. The hot is the center most terminal and the minus (NOT THE SHIELD BUT THE MINUS) is the terminal sticking off to the right of the center post (hot) terminal.

    And for pete's sake everybody, use a Weller solder pencil when soldering electronics on the musical/pro audio end of the world, never a solder gun. They are not even $20 at Home Depot for the most basic Weller. It is the standard in electronics repairs/work.
  5. So, I can just solder to any part of the casing and have it be connected to the sleeve?

    By the way, I got my soldering iron for $4 at Harbor Fright. It may not be the best, but it really doesn't matter to me
  6. bassbenj


    Aug 11, 2009
    Not sure what you mean. A trs (Tip, ring, sleeve) jack (or plug in this case) has three connections. The tip is the rounded bump on the very end. The "ring" is the metal ring just behind that bump and the "sleeve" is the rest of the plug shaft and the usually the body of the plug as well. Sleeve is "ground" and usually goes to the shield if shielded cable is being used with the plug.

    For the type of plug you are using (flat right angle) the body of the plug including those "claws" designed to hold the wire are the "ground" or sleeve connection. Looking at the back of the plug the connection that goes right down the CENTER of the plug shaft is "tip". The other one is sort of offset from that and is "ring". But you didn't spend enough at Harbor Freight. What you need to REALLY check these plugs out is a Harbor Freight $3 volt-ohm-meter. So cheap they are almost free and just THE useful thing for tests like this. The true test is to put the meter on "ohms" and probe between the tip and the connections and the ring and the connections and the sleeve and the connections. It should come out about like I said.
  7. Thanks for the very informative response! I used to have a volt-ohm meter but will have o seize the opportunity and get one from Harbor Freight.

    For those interested, I did break down And get a Weller, despite my stubbornness. Also, I did end up getting my PeePlug clones to work! they are crazy fun! I suggest anyone who can spare $10 in parts and shipping to go out and build one! I know I will be building a few more for all my friends
  8. JTE

    JTE Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    OK, I see...

    A. Your picture is of the T/R/S PLUG, not a jack which is what you said in the first post. The plug is the male part, the jack (or socket) is the female part.

    B. Take a VOM set to read ohms, and put on side on the sleeve of the plug, and the other on different solder locations until you find one with continuity to the sleeve. Same for the tip and ring connections as well.

  9. Bassamatic

    Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

    The photocell in the first photo is wired to the tip (center) and the ring (right). The sleeve is the part with the cable clamp.
  10. walterw

    walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 20, 2009
    i give up: what the heck are you making?

    (also, it should be obvious: you've got a tip terminal, a ring terminal, and the overall housing is the sleeve connection.)
  11. A Devi Ever PeePlug clone. it's an expression jack that's controlled by the amount of light hitting the photo cell

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.