1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick truss rod/piccolo strings question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SpaceYourBass, Mar 25, 2009.

1. SpaceYourBass

SpaceYourBass

Aug 28, 2007
    I'm getting piccolo strings tomorrow for my ABG. Will these strings (D'addario 34" scale piccolo strings) be higher or lower in tension than regular old roundwounds (sunbeams to be exact)?

Will I have to turn my truss rod (only if I need to of course) clockwise or counter clockwise? The place where you put the hex wrench to turn the truss rod is where you pluck or pick the strings, not where the tuning knobs are.

Please help me with these quick questions because I can't exactly get on the internet anytime I want to!

2. Lighter gauge=lower tension; higher tuning=higher tension.
    No real way to know until you do it. I've thrown piccolo strings on a bass or two & not needed to touch the truss rod. Take your time & watch for sever changes in action, releif, etc. When in doubt, talk to a luthier.

3. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I bet they will be way higher in tension. I have tuned my 34" piccolo bass to d g c f, and even that is to much tension imo.
    I would have liked to have a 30" piccolo bass.