quick trussrod question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, May 19, 2005.

1. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    This is the first time I'm going to use one of these style hotrods, with the spoke thing towards the body. I think I did an alright job routing the bigger pocket for the spoke, but I'm unsure of whether the spoke should lay on top (so that it rises a bit above neckline) or on the bottom. I guess it doesn't really matter, just have to turn it the opposite direction, right?? I'm just curious how you all do it?? I like it better on top, personally, no pun intended.
    thx in advance,
    ps....also, which way am I gonna want to turn it if I install the spoke on top?
  2. If you just take a look at the rod from the spoke end and note the angle of the threads you can figure it out. If they are sloped toward the right (each thread is closer to you on the left than on the right) then it is clockwise and vice versa. To me it looks like the threads are sloping from left to right, so clockwise is going to work against the strings.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Mormally, a truss rod is pulling to counteract the strings, which means that the nut must be lower (bass lying with top up).
  4. can someone explain to me the action of a dual-action trussrod? Visuals would be appreciated.
  5. JSP, hotrods are design so that the nut bar goes on the bottom, if you install it upside down you risk the instrument owner turning it the wrong way and overtightening and breaking it. Nothing is wrong as long as it works! I think it's more asthetically pleasing to not have the nut protrude from the body, but that's just me, others might like it so!

Also, the spoke nuts don't need that big of a rout. you could just route a perpendicular channel that matches the nut width and depth and you would be alright, you don't need the kind of access holes you do on hex nuts.
  6. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    yeah, the route is pretty darn big. Oh well, ya live and learn.
    Next one won't be so big. :p
    By the way, I looked around at how some others had installed their rods and decided to do it the way you suggested (bottom).
    Hopefully I'll have this thing together sometime soon.