Quick Tuner question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The_Phoenician, Nov 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I'm looking to upgrade the tuners on my p-bass copy, the stock ones are pretty loose. Should I get some official Fender tuners for around $25, or save up for some Schallers?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yes you should. I normally use Schallers, but that's because they're the first I ever used and have no compelling reason to switch. Others rant about Hipshot, Grover, Gotoh or some other brand. It's really six of one, or half dozen of the other unless you have specific features in mind like weight, tuning ratio, or something else.

3. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    If your bass is an low end copy (you don't say what is is) then Schallers may be worth more than the guitar. You can always remove them if you sell the bass. Otherwise, I'd just get some decent off market tuners and buy some new strings with the money you save. Consider a higher ratio (20:1) to reduce gear wear.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Need more info re: bass and pics, if possible. Some tuners can be "snugged up" to minimize play.

Riis

JustForSport and LowNloud1 like this.
  5. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    Schallers are nice but I also recommend Hipshot. I'm very impressed with the Hipshot tuners I have and would use them on a custom build.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021