Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick unasked question on the IOD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Mar 5, 2002.

1. I was just wondering, does the IOD cut through the mix well? I know that some people say that SWR has a problem cutting through the mix in a band setting, so does the IOD have the same problem? Or is a nice full sound with balls?

2. It can have any sound you want. The tone control section produces a wide variety, and the Drive control will give you tons of grind.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

it cuts man. like nothin else i've ever played. the only pre that i would consider better than it is the aggie db680, and even that doesnt have grind like the iod.

jason

4. My bad Jason, i didn't mean to offend. Although it's good that you came in to set the record straight and all :-D. Thanks Jason and bgavin.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Both pre-amps cut through well while maintaining smoothness and an overall pleasing tone. I mix them, and whoa boy!

p.s. the JJ/tesla retube for the IOD is like night and day. I hear an immediate improvement in the tone. If you have an IOD with the Stock Chinese GT's, consider replacing them with the JJ's (www.eurotubes.com) unless, of course, you've already replaced them with Ei's...

p.p.s the 680 is also getting the JJ treatment soon...

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

you just surprised me, that's all!!! no offense taken!!! :D

coyoteboy - that reminds me to email lord valve and order another triplet of Ei's to replace the ones that broke when my rack fell. but the tubes you use do make a HUGE difference.

edit: i checked out that website...and i may get some JJ's instead. hmm..decisions decisions. maybe i'll get the JJ's for comparison purposes, then order another triplet of whatever i like more as backup.

jason

7. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Mr. Pletka does have awfully good pricing. Really nice and helpful too. Give 'em a shot, I know you'll like the JJ's.

8. Since we're talking about tubes and the IOD, let me ask you guys a question. Do you think that Biasing the IOD is really that important? I just asked Bryan Beller and he was saying that it really isn't that big of a deal with the IOD. Also, note that i am not planning to keep the stock tubes in it, i want to change them to JJ Tesla tubes.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    every time i've changed tubes and biased - 3 or 4 times now..it hasn't needed adjustment.

next time i change i'm gonna check, if i don't need to fix it after that im not going to bother anymore.

jason

10. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    If you change tube brands, I would have the unit biased. If you get your JJ's from Mr Pletka, he can match the spec of the tubes you buy for subsequent replacement, thereby making re-biasing unneccesary. For example, I ordered my el84's at #40, at Mr Pletka's recommendation for easy, bluesey breakup, and If I get #40's the next time, I won't have to rebias. Neat eh? Hey, if your going to spend alot of time with a unit, you might as well have it set up just right. Your tubes will last longer too.

11. So basically, i should just rebias it when i want to change the tubes that i use it in. So if i go with the Tesla tubes, then everytime afterwards just get the same # tubes and it'll be fine? At that point, i'll just have like Jimmy Coppolo at NY guitar and bass boutique set it up the first time.