Quickest GAS ever!!! (for me)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ipodeloc, Oct 7, 2002.

1. On Saturday, I went to the (only) music store of my town to try some low end basses for a friend of mine. I picked up a Mexican Jazz, and found its neck horrible compared to my Reissue 62 (hopefully!). Then I tried an Ibanez BTB 515, and found it very "inconsistent" (mean no personnality, a bass for the invisible man). I didn't even plug the EDC 700 (5 strings) as the B string was the floppiest thing ever.
    Then I took a look to some more "decent" basses, and I first took a Vigier Excess (4 strings). Many of not european (maybe not french) don't know these basses, but I was POWERFUL!!! Woaowww ... a real earthquake. Definitely a very very good sound, just a little to much "hissss". I was leaving the shop when I saw a little bass in a dark side of the shop: a Pedulla Rapture 4. Many small scratches on it, but not visibles until you put your nose on it. The dealer told me that once, a stupid guy tried it and didn't put it in place properly, so it fell on other basses, and like dominos ... This little bass had lived some hard times, it was a 1996 Rapture, still in the shop since this date!!! Noone had never bought it!!! So I plugged it in the Hartke stack and ... My god! I saw a light, a tunnel and someone told me "This bass has been made by God himself for you, take it and play it for eternity". That's what I did: 1200€ (1100$) for the best bass I have ever played! The slap tone is MONSTRUOUS! The finger style sound is a pure motown marvel. So punchy, so ... so ... so comfortable, so light, so beautiful.
    It's a sunburst one, with the red tortoise pickguard, just like the one on the web site (I have to wait for my Polaroid packs before I can take a picture of it). I's just like a small versoin of my Fender 62: same colors, same woods...
    My first Pedulla, but not the last!
    And the Bartolini Soapbar is very comfortable under my thumb, more than the angulous single coils of the Jazz. One good pickup in the good place, no need for more!
    Oh my god, this bass is a dream come true![​IMG]
  2. oops, the BASS was powerful (the Vigier), not me of course. I'm a pure worm.
  3. No one else has such Pedulla model?
    How do you think it compares to other model/brands?
    Anyway, I got the best fretted 4 of the universe!
    Saturnians, Venusians!!! I want you to reply!
  4. Aaaah Mike, holly words you are saying.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Those are nice basses. The only thing I don't like about them is the V-profile of the neck.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I played a fretless one of those once, and I hate to say it, because every other Pedulla I've played was fantastic, but that was an absolutely CRAPPY bass. The workmanship on it wasn't bad, or the feel, but the sound was AWFUL! It made me sad that such a wonderful name produced such a poor tone. I had the shop put in a new battery, and when that didn't help they opened the back...there was the culprit...some of the wires had been burned with a soldering iron, as had the chip for the preamp. Shame. Shame. If the previous owner, or whoever, hadn't been such an idiot, I would have walked out with a new fretless. Oh well.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There was a teal Pedulla Rapture (I think) with a highly figured birdseye maple board at a local store for a few months earlier in the year. I was smitten!
  8. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    im in LOVE with Pedulla Rapture J2s.... TRY THOSE if you have a chance.. i didn't really like the 1 pickup one.. but the J2, oh my god... talk bout creaming in your pants...

The B has a great growl and punch, while holding clarity.. i really loved it... one of the B strings I've ever played too (on a bolted neck).. give them a try!! You will not be disappointed!

9. I wish I could try Rapture J2, Buzz, and other Pedullas, but here in France, it's very difficult to find this brand ... The first I've seen, the first I've bought!
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Umm...personally I'd prefer we not even mention it. :rolleyes:

brad cook
  11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    [James Hetfield]Rapture Good!![/James Hetfield]

(I truly hope some got that reference ;))

The Pedulla Rapture J-2000 5-string is my dream bass, bar none. Everything about that model speaks to me – the body size, wood, construction, electronics, neck… for my needs, it’s perfect.

I was also quite surprise that it wasn’t as bright as I thought an all-maple bass would be. I believe that has to do with the routing under the pickguard Pedulla does to lessen the weight – it seems to cut round off some of the high end.

Congratulations on your find! :D
  12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Good looking bass. I like them alot, one of the best necks in the business IMO. I have a Rapture 5 and had Mike put a fretless neck on it, now I play fretless 90% of the time, due in large part to how good this one felt. Many people call them a one trick pony, I think they have 2 great sounds, one with the mid-switch on, the other with it off. Those 2 sounds are great, and really cut through guitars and drums very well. Enjoy it for many years, mine has survived many bouts of buying and selling.
  13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yes.. I too wanted a pedulla bass at one time.. in fact I wouldn't mind having one now.. at the moment I am content.. but they are sweet.. congrats on your bass.. and what a nice story you told.. ;)