Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Quickie" French Polish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rickbass, Jul 28, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Always wanted a bass with a French polish finish, but, I know that technique is crazy labor-intensive.

If you all have any experience, or just an opinion, about Behlen's Qualasole French polish product that is supposed to get pretty much the same result in much less time with much less effort, I'd appreciate hearing about what you think.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have never done french polish so take that into account...........I use the Qualasole for the back of every neck I make. I like the way it feels over every other finish I have tried. I normally use a couple coats of "tung oil finish" on the neck then the Gray scuff pad then lay on multiple coats of the Qualasole. Inbetween the last few coats I use the white scuffpads and after the last on I use a normal brown paper bag to buff it up. Give it a try!..............Good luck ........t

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks, tj!

I want to have a bass refinished but I am always leery about shortcuts when it comes to either construction or finishing.

The bass has a tung oil finish and I thought this might be a way to get the French polish I always wanted for a vintage-type appearance.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    The only thing you stand to lose is a bit of your time and under $25 with the Qualasole and the scuff pads. Give it a go. If you don't like it you can try something else.

All these have Qualasole on the back of the necks. I haven't had a complaint about the feel of them.

http://www.s98473082.onlinehome.us/tb/

Good luck ....t

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Nice basses TjClem!

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida