Quickie on tapping diff parts of a song

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Over the ast couple of days, I have been trying to tap one part of a song, like, an arpeggio, then simultaniously tap out a solo or fill with my other hand, but it comes out all jumbled up and sounds incoherent. If anyone else knows proper technique to do this, please post it. Thanks!
  2. tapping is very interesting. there are many ways to go about this, i like tapping basslines while comping over top of it. I havent tried doing solos over a bassline yet for one reason alone. My hands arent completly independant of each other yet. meaning, i cant tell my left hand to play this bassline while i solo over top of it with my right hand. The best remedy for this is to keep practiing. start slow and simple and work your way faster and more complex. dont expect to be awesome over night. i have been working on my tapping for about 4 months now and it is slowly getting better. so my advice is to practice. and work on finger and hand independance.

Nate M
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Tapping--and polyphony in general--doesn't always sound good on bass. Stay away from root-third-fifth triads, 'cause they sound like mud. Don't try to play too many notes at once, and keep the melody lines high on the neck, out of the range of the bass lines. Mute unused strings and stay away from your neck pickup if it still sounds murky. Good people to listen to for ideal tapping tone: Manring, Wooten, Roscoe Beck, Stu Hamm.