Quickly Determing MIM P-Bass Quality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ahhhson, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    So I've been using the forums to enlighten myself b/c I'm interested in buying a P. The American Standard and anything above is out of my price range. I was looking into the Highway 1 and the Standard. (side question: The P-Bass Standard, the one in the 400$ price range, are MIM correct?) If such is the case, I've read that the Highway 1 and the Standard P tend to be not far off in quality and sound. Obviously I would like to save money so rather than hunting down a Highway 1, which seem to be physically less abundant in music stores, what are some quick ways in determining a "gem" of a Standard P-Bass? I know quality control of Fender has been discussed so other than sound and how it plays in the store, what are some things one can do to quickly determine the quality, visually. I've played my friends squier and I can definately feel the cheapness in my hand. I feel like I have to play it softer or it will break! Anyways, I'm in a fast hardcore punk band getting ready for tour in August. I have a Stingray 4 from the 80's (a real beaut!, the early model with the larger body, the input on the surface of the body, and only the volume, treble and bass controls!) Needless to say I dont want to bring it all the way from NY to Cali so I need something to stand beside my Yamaha BBN4. Please Help!
  2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Some peoples tastes in sound and feel are refined enough to be able to pick-up an instrument and quickly know if it is going to work or not. Others may feel comfortable comparing several instruments back to back to back and feel like they can pick out a "winner". Short of psychic ability or devine help I know of no way to make a decision based on visual inspection.
    EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention: Why not get some insurance on your SR and bring it along? It will be cheaper than buying another bass and more importantly you'll be playing something that you KNOW you like, nothing's worse than playing on an instrument you aren't happy with, IMO. Bieng unsatisfied with your bas should be avoided at ALL COSTS!!
  3. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The HW1 has such a fickle finish that it would look like a relic after touring. Sneezing in the same room might make the paint chip. Find a used US model if possible.
  4. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    Yea the highway I'm looking into is sunburst. And as long as the mechanics and sound stayed in tact after tour, I think the worn out finish on the back and around the curves of the bodywould look awesome! I really layed into it at the store trying it out to see if it would hold up. It did. Also, the pups were really hot. I think I'm going to make a down payment later today. Its a "demo" and they're asking 589$, anyone have an additional input or advice....?