Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quiestions about the Ahsdown EB 130-12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hujo, Oct 31, 2002.

1. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hello everyone. I've been thinking about buying a used EB 130-12, but I haven't had a chance to try one out yet, so I'd like to ask some questions...

First of all, how does it sound? How does it colour the sound of your bass? Does it sound Hi-Fi or vintage? Dry / Bright / Warm?

How's the headroom? How loud can it play? Does it keep the low-volume tone at high volumes?

How does it handle the B-string?

And please fill in what ever else experiences you might have had with this amp.

I've used smaller combos before with good results, for small gigs I've used them as-is, and for bigger gigs i've lined them through the PA. I've used Hartke kickbacks and EBS 12-inch combos, and found the volume to be sufficient.. How does it compare to those, if anyone has had any experience?

And yes, I've done a search, and found some good stuff, but not answers to all my questions..

Thanks alot for your time!

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Anyone?

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I guess i can't answer all of your questions. However, I've got an Ashdown EB130-15. The sounds will be a little different.

I plug in my Spector and leave the amp set flat. I just adjust the gain and volume. It sounds great! My one handles the low B very well, I'm guessing that the 12 will be close - so I don't see that it'd be a problem!

Headroom and loudness - well considering this is a tuny little combo, barely big enough to fit the 1 x 15 speaker I think the volume and headroom on it are amazing. I play with a gutiarist who uses a Marshall Valvestate 100w combo. At rehearsals he has his gain almost all the way up, and his volume at about the halfway mark. I set the gain at about 2 o'clock and the volume at about 12 o'clock - this provides plenty of bass to cut through the Marshall, a drummer that hits fairly hard and the vocal PA.

Haven't tried it but I think it would be OK for small gigs - but you'd need to DI it (the balanced DI is on the front) to the PA for bigger gigs.

Consdering the volume, the tone when used flat, and the portability aspect, plus the 5 band EQ, with Deep and Bright buttons (that I don't use) I think this is a great little amp. But, mine is slightly different to the 12 that you are looking to buy - and my sounds good, may be you sounds crap!

I doubt you'll be disappointed though!:)

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    mine is due today. i got it as a practice amp for a new band i'm playing with. i'll let you know tonight how it sounds.....

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks alot, Johnny! Sounds good. Looking forward to your response, FNA!

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    its very tight so far but it only has about 3 hrs of play on it. the deep and bright buttons make for a good slap sound despite the lack of tweeter. it is surpisingly fat and warm too with minimal eq-ing for a solid-state amp. volume would be good enough for gigging small to medium rooms anything larger would require more power or DI-ing to the PA. it handles the low E superbly at high volume. the B makes the speaker start to break up at higher volume. it doesn't vastly color the sound but is not as true as my acme was either. i think it is happy medium.

my consensus so far:
    great practice amp, loud enough for practice, and smaller gigs (or as a stage monitor). great tone in a small package. ii would like a little more low end and a ext. speaker output. but for the money i paid it was well worth it...

(www.music123 is running a great deal on them right now by the way)

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I gotta agree with one point FNA4 made - it would be a lot more flexible if there was an output for another speaker cabinet. I would love a mini-15 to go alongside it! But for the money, I don't think there is anything on the market that comes close!:)

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks alot for the info, guys, when i get a chance i'll try to test one!

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I just bought a Mag mon 12-200. it's a 'kickback' version of the EB 12 with an external speaker out.

it's 200 watts @ 4 ohms with an 8 ohm internal speaker... so I'm guessing about 130 watts without the extra speaker.

alone set next to the drummer.... it's not enough

I DI to the PA and it's fine. I haven't tried yet, but I'm assuming that it'll cut it sitting on an 8 ohm 15 inch or 18 inch cab

YMMV, I'm still playing with the EQ settings, and my Bass was having some issues that I've delt with since the last practice (I'd know for sure tonight... but the guitarist just called to cancel tonights practice)

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks again for the info!