quiet ampeg svt-400t

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ferd315, Apr 14, 2003.

1. ferd315

Sep 20, 2001
    Us, Fl, Tampa
    I recently bought an Ampeg Svt400-T and its really quiet. I've tried all combinations of speakers, cabs, wiring, mono-stereo, 810's, 410's, 210's, 115's. you name it i've tried it. The volume just isn't there. My buddy has the same head, and he has beaten that thing up, and its way louder. I've taken it to 2 different ampeg service techs, and they said it was a limit defeat switch is stuck on. I was wondering if anyone had a different idea or has come across this same problem. The head is all solid state. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :bawl:
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If the limiter is indeed stuck on it would certainly limit overall volume...

If two techs say that's the problem, why not have them fix it?
  3. ferd315

Sep 20, 2001
    Us, Fl, Tampa
    I am going to have them fix it, I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong. I got 2 different prices for the same work, that just makes me alittle hesitant. It was a $35 difference. And they got the same parts from the same place. And they both estimated it to be the same time. Sound fishy?
  4. a_5string

Feb 19, 2003
    midwest - Iowa
    I may be able to shed some light on this... I am an electronics tech for a LARGE avionics/communications manufacturer. It actually doesn't sound fishy to me. The actual parts needed are probably not gonna cost very much. You need to ask what, if any, markup they charge for the parts, also, what labor rate they charge. For instance, say it takes 3 hours- If one tech charges $20/hr and the other one charges $10/hr for labor, after 3hrs of work, that's a $30 difference in price. One tech may charge more for labor because they have established a reputation as being the "best" and the average "joe" may be willing to pay for that. Also find out what kind of gaurantee they have for their work. It would really suck if they miss something and a couple of months later it quits working again and you take it back and they say, "oh sorry our work is only guaranteed for 30 days"... If they both have the same guarantee, take it to the tech that gave you the cheaper quote.