Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quiet budget Peavey

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CDuff, Aug 12, 2003.

1. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Hi.
    Due to a severe lack of cash, I'm playing a budget passive Peavey Dynabass International Series...i think.. (it just says International Series on the headstock, but i think it's a dynabass...but the body shape is very similar to the cirrus)

Anyway, it's a nice bass and all but it's so damn quiet...i have to put the amp volume really freakin high to get heard. My question is, on a budget, could this be changed? i can't afford a new bass yet (damn college) so I was thinkin along the lines of pot replacement or something ...? Or is it just a lost cause?

Any help or education on the matter is appreciated,
    C.

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If it is a Peavey Dynabass then it should be an Active bass. There should be a panel on the back of the bass that can be unscrewed. This cavity should contain the active electronics and a battery. The battery may need to be replaced.
    There is also an adjustment there for the preamp gain.

Link to 1985 version of Peavey DynaBass Manual:
    http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80300137.pdf

Link to 1991 version of Peavey DynaBass Manual:
    http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80301465.pdf

If the bass does not have active electronics or a battery then it probably is not a DynaBass.
    Many of the Peavey Basses are passive - in these cases there will just be pots and wires in the control cavity on the back.

You can search for other Peavey Manuals at:
    http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Have the tone cap checked for leakage. A partially shorted cap can bleed the volume off. If the tone control works properly the cap is probably o.k.

You can gain some additional volume by going directly to the output jack with the PUP output leads. You'll have to do all the volume and tone control with the amp controls.

Good luck.

Pkr2

4. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    okay, so it's not a DynaBass then....so I haven't a clue what to type into the search engine.

Pkr2, You could be right...the tone control isn't overly effective, so that's probably the fault here. This direct wiring you speak of, is it tricky?
    I just remebered seeing a thread about this somewhere here, i'll check that.
    Thanks for the help both of you,
    C.

5. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Okay, having read the "Direct-Wired" thread, and all the opinions therein, I've decided to leave it. I payed about 300euros or so for this bass so i can't expect excellence, instead i'm just gonna save up and upgrade (eventually) ...then some day when I'm playing my Nordstrand I can look back and laugh at the days of crappy equipment.

let me end the post simply with a :( 'cause I'll have to put with this rubbish for a lllooooooong time....unless somebody feels like giving me one of their many basses ...?

no?
    meh.

Thanks and good luck,
    C.