1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quiet, cheap passive PJ set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Snowbro, Dec 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Hello! So I got this punk ass bass with terrible pickups that I use for practice and I'd like to give it a little revamp.
    I play with Ableton so I have access to all sorts of equalisazion and effects.

After a bunch of research I found out what I need is quite simple, a set of pickups that doesn't have much noise (I will also shield the bass) and doesn't cost too much.

A plus would be catching a broad range of frequencies since I can just cut them or amplify them at will.

I first tried the EMG PJX, but did not have a good experience with them. Also, a battery would barely fit inside my bass.

I am not tecessarly looking for a pj set, could also buy them separately (p and j). Yes I am an newbie, an amateur and all the other words. I just like to scramble around!

Cheers and thanks in advance

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Dimarzio DP251 Area P/J set. Ticks all three boxes...Quiet, Cheap, and Passive. :)

Isotonic likes this.
  3. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Hi Slater and thanks for the reply (again!).

I am looking to buy the set you mentioned, tho living in europe I am finding it quite hard! There are none sold for cheap (lowest is roughly 200 bucks).

Only one question tho. The P set can have the noises cancelling eachother since they are 2 pickups. Is there any hope to get a decent result with a j pickup?

4. I got my Bill Lawrence PJ set in the door for ~E140 (shipped from US to NL) .. IIRC

Haroldo and flojob like this.
  5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The Area J pickup is split coil and therefore hum canceling.

6. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As @jallenbass posted, the Area J is split-coil and hum canceling.

Also, the Bill Lawrence pickups that @Rody suggested might be a good option.

Bass Pickups

7. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    Area J is best low cost option in my estimation. Very nice sounding vintage style set with even tonal qualities. If you wanted something more aggressive, I would go with the model J. Model J PJ sets are often found used (they've been around for a long time) so they are a super bargain. If you want dark and mellow, refined, Bartolini PJ sets can also be found on the cheap. The Area PJ would be the most versatile.

8. davegt666

davegt666

Jun 30, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'd second any of the Dimarzio PJ sets.

They're affordable, quiet, and they sound good.

Area would be the most versatile but I use the Model PJ set.

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The model J is quite a bit darker if you like that kind of thing. The Ultra J is as hot but brighter if that's your taste.

Isotonic likes this.
  10. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Hello again. I have researched all your suggestions, learned everything and mastered nothing.

What about these? They are the only option I can find that will surely arrive within the week.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/dimarzio_dp126_basspickup_set.htm

To quote a review: "One of my stipulations was for a noise-free single-coil and knowing that the DiMarzio J pickup is actually two coils side by side wired in hum-cancelling configuration, these fitted the bill."

I guess I'd have to buy volume and control things too since the cheap ass ones from my previous bass would most likely introduce noise, so if you would also have a suggestion for that (at least the name of the thing, you know, it's not a volume/tone knob, but the thing behind it sorry I am so bad).

11. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Dimarzio DP126 Model P/J set is pretty popular. They are a little more aggressive and have a little less high-end than the Dimarzio Areas. Again, the J pickup is split-coil and hum canceling.

If you’re replacing your controls, I would suggest three CTS(brand) pots(potentiometers). 2 for volume and 1 for tone. 250k value pots are the standard for a Precision Bass, but some prefer 500k which provide a slightly brighter tone, and might work well with the DP126 set. You may also need a tone cap(capacitor) for the tone pot. A 0.047uF (sometimes called 0.05uF) is typical for a P-bass. You don’t need an expensive high voltage tone cap. I would also suggest a Switchcraft output jack.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  12. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Perhaps you'll hate me for always suggesting something different.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/emerson_custom_j_bass_250k_prewired_kit.htm

I have never did this before and I am frankly scared as poopie. The EMGs were easy but welding all my way through an entire wiring might prove challenging.

This one is cheaper tho it's not prewired, seems well setup for easy wiring and comes with a diagram
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/montreux_8239_jb_wiring_kit.htm

Ideally I would like to have a blender, a master tone and a master volume. The blender would blend for 100% neck on one and and 100% bridge on the other end and I guess it's not possible to have 100% both in the middle is it. If yesm I'd really prefer that over a [volume, volume, master tone] but it's not that big of a deal.

I just want to get this over by today so I can place my order and start playing again. The lack of bass is taking its toll.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  13. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno

I made a video for you! All in all it wasn't super cheap, but it is quiet. And the tone! Oh, man!

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

A Bournes MN taper blend pot will have both pickups full on in the centre. It is designed so one pickup is always 100% while the other is rolled off. You can also leave it without ground which I prefer; the master volume ground takes care of it {thanks @WalterW}. Results in a smoother blend but the dimmed pickup is never 100% off, but you really cant hear it.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  15. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    had I known! I will treasure this information for my next project!