1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quiet D string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by frankblackcat, Mar 16, 2008.

1. I've an old Soundgear 1000, EMG'd a while ago. Plays fine, sounds fine except for the D string is noticibly quieter.

I've adjusted the action, adjusted PUP height, and playing it not plugged in I'm sure I can hear a slight difference. Anybody got any other suggestions of what it could be, or I could try?

2. Dead spot, maybe? (Or dead string.)

3. Not a dead string as I've had the same problem after changing the strings. Dead spot, never been too clear what that means, but it's quieter at all frets so I assume it's not a dead spot.

4. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    maybe your D saddle is too low? happened just yesterday, that I found my D string too quiet... it only sounded OK if I plucked it carefully, not too loud. it was the saddle height, which was a bit low.. the string was choked (don't know the right word) by the fretboard. half turn on the setting screws and everything got fine.
    hope that helps..

5. Bassangel44

Bassangel44

Mar 26, 2008
    I had the same problem on my Fender P-bass, except on my E string, the whole string was just kinda dull compared to the other strings. Just raise the action up a little bit, it should put the tone back into then.