1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quiet Drummers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by agreatheight, Sep 16, 2010.

1. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Having suffered through volume wars like everybody else, I appreciate someone who can fill the needs but can also support the song with dynamics. IME and maybe yours, folks tend to play loud to make up for shortcomings and as they get older and gain experience and maturity learn to support the song and listen better to each other. IMHO.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have a hard time picturing this being a problem. But I've only really played with a few drummers refularly and they all started at bone-crushingly loud and went up from there. The last band I was with, the drummer got a Roland electronic kit so we could turn him down for practices. He was still loud even with the volume turned off. Think about it. Hitting plastic pads that all sound the same. It basically turned his whole kit into one big practice pad.

3. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    I'd much rather a vibe than something timid in a drummers style, I can't work with it, too loud..use the plugs and get a big system :D

4. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    "Quiet Drummers". That's just another urban myth. No such thing. :bag:

5. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    No, there are 'lazy ones' who can't be a$$ed too :D

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm spoiled by hard hitters. Been playing a lot of gigs this past year with a guy who has no attack at all, and just started playing with a monster drummer again in another band. I can't tell you the difference. I've got rock and roll in my blood, bones & liver, and I just can't get psyched, enthused, or excited playing with a guy who's tapping the skins. It's work for me with those drummers, pure adrenaline and fun with a guy who means business. I'm starting to come to terms with the notion too that the personality usually coincides with the type of player they are also. The crazy drummers IME are often a little harder to handle as people :), but the tradeoff is totally worth it to me.

7. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    IME I've been fortunate enough to play with some great drummers on various occasions......
    Laurie Jenkins-Chaka Chan/Howie Day
    Paul Stewart-The Feeling
    Tom Meadows-Duffy/Kylie Minogue.....and a few more sessioner's who were playing the circuit at the same time, great musicians and a pleasure to play with in a section.

IME Having played with a range for the acid test......it's important not just for the section but the band, that you find someone you can lock with.

8. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    You mean like "Animal" from the Muppet Show?............

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't think awareness of volume levels below 'THERMONUCLEAR MELTDOWN!!!!!' necessarily equals timidity. I believe the term you were looking for is 'musical dynamics'. I am in favor of the hypothetical drummer who could play quieter when there isn't a reason to shake the walls.

The early rock pioneers did things like use a suitcase(kick)phone book(snare) for the drumkit. They got just as much groove going on them as any modern drummer could with his seventeen piece room-filling monstrosity.

10. I have been spoiled by the drummers I've played with, one in particular has been playing with me for over 30 years. He's got chops, feel, and dynamics along with excellent meter. He has never been over the top loud when we play,definitely not a timid player.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    There's a whole lot more to drumming than volume. Any good drummer should be able to own it and generate excitement at any volume.

Unfortunately, I have found only a small, small percentage of drummers can do it right at different volumes.

12. ptolemny

ptolemny

Jan 12, 2010
    California
    Depends on the music, I guess. I like to play rock, and I need a drummer who is not afraid to pound the skins - really hard. Bonham is the gold standard for that kind of stuff. A good loud kick - heavy yet crisp - is crucial, and the snare ain't too far behind. Our newly-ex drummer quit last week in a huff (big drama, long story); but it's not a great loss, musically speaking. The dude was way too light on the kit - no heavy. I guess what I'm saying is I can totally sympathize.

13. I enjoy playing both guitar and bass at lower volumes as much as I like playing loud, so I don't mind quieter drummers. It's all about tone really, and if a drummer has an old-school kit with old-school heads, and uses good technique, they can get big sound at lower volumes.

14. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    I've had practice sessions so low- volume you could hear a fart. They sucked.
    Not saying I want my eardrums blown out, or broken cymbals right and left, but I want my drummer to punch it a bit. Otherwise, the mojo withers, then up and dies.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021