Quiet Over-the-Top Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Mar 20, 2002.

1. i have a boss bass chorus but its mostly just a very mild effect (Which is still very good and very useful) but when i want to really get a thick over-the-top chorus (think 46&2 by tool) it gets way to hissy. Anyone know of a good quiet chorus thats a bit more extreme then the boss unit?

... oh and if anyone wants a GEB-7 let me know :D ;) :rolleyes: ...
  2. Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    I have a T.C. Electronics chorus+flanger & pitchshifter(It's the same effectsbox!) and I have never heard such a good chorus pedal in my life! It is built like a tank, even more sturdy than the Boss pedals and it has sound to die for! It is excellent for both bass and guitar, I also use it with acoustic guitar, and will give you anything from gentle stereo chorus to the sound of flying saucers taking off! It is pretty darned expensive, but it is the studio musicians standard, and simply the best. Try one, I promise you, you will never look back!
    BTW, I am by no means associated with the manufacturer!:D
    Best Regards,
    (Edited to insert some missing words, it's late here!:D )
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Either the TC Electronic or the EBS UniChorus
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Look into an Analog Man Clone Chorus with the Bass/Thick option.

I borrowed a guitar player's Clone Chorus a few months ago, and I thought it was the best chorus I had ever used for bass, guitar, or anything else. With the Bass/Thick option I almost can't imagine how good it would have sounded...

(BTW, I've never heard the Tool song that was posted above, so I don't know if the Clone Chorus will provide that type of sound or not).
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i coulda swore that justin is using a flanger on that song, which is ALMOST chorus.

while we're at recommending expensive units, i'll recommend the fulltone choral flange, even though i probably shouldn't: i have no experience with this effect. in fact, i don't have any experience with any of the high end effects.

the way i see it, you can't go wrong with anything better than boss. it all comes down to personal preference.

(not sure the merit or the source, but i heard that the TC Electronic's flange option isn't quite flange. or maybe it's EBS). looks like you'll have some research to do.
  6. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In 46&2 you could use both chorus or flange, flange you would have to usea light flange with or a chorus pedal with the rate allmost completely killed but wihthe depth to the max. I havent tried many chorus pedals other then the Boss one. But if your looking for a sound similar to the Tool song I would try going for a solid flange pedal
  7. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    If it's flange you're after it's gotta be an EH Electric Mistress!

You know it makes sense!
  8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Electro-harmonix Polychorus, using very mild settings. This is the chorus that Jaco and others have used. It is a very thick rich sounding chorus. Like I said the trick is to use very mild settings. I have the width at 50%, and everything else at about 5%. The sound is rich, deep and beautiful.