1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quiet Riot Metal Health bass effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zone1, Jan 8, 2012.

1. zone1

zone1

Dec 27, 2009
    I gotta play this song with my band and was wondering what you guys that play it use to cop the bass tone? It sounds like either a lite phaser or envelope to me used during certain parts.

2. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    Dragging up an old thread. I'd like to figure this out as well. My band is adding this song. I'd love to get a similar tone.

3. If you're actually talking about the song and not the whole cd, Chuck Wright used a fretless bass on the title track. If I would guess about the middle of that song, I'd say chorus.

4. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    Yes, just the song.

5. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I'm almost positive Rudy Sarzo played on that entire album. As for the fretless, you can hear pretty distinct fret noise on all of his tracks on that album...that tone was kind of his signature. For the bass tone, push the upper mids and try adding a little flanger.

edited to add that this worked for me when I played it "back in the day"

6. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Flanger

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yep Flanger. At least that's what I'm hearing and it would sound cool.

8. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    I'd hate to kick out a bunch of money for one tune. I already have a Small stone phaser. You think I could cop a similar tone?

9. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Rudy did not play on that song. According to many sites Chuck played on Metal Health specifically. Not that it matters now I guess.

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    A chorus pedal will work.

11. I believe Chuck is back with that band (what's left of it). Great bass player. His work on House of Lords first cd was great.

12. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    They are coming to my town soon. Just can't bring myself to go though. I did see them in the 90's at a bar, different bass player, but Kevin, Carlos and Frankie were there. They really kicked butt too. Being 10 feet in front of them, watching them play with such precision that comes after years of playing the same songs together, was nice. But with just Frankie, It's really just a tribute band now. I think if Frankie went out as "Banali" or something, and play some songs from the many bands he's done studio work for, like WASP, and others, I'd be more interested.

13. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Hi guys. I actually asked Chuck Wright via email. This is his response:
    Music Man Sting ray Bass through a Roland Chorus CE-2
    set at 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock

Hope that helps.
    -Joe

14. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    Awesome! Thanks! I happen to have a Stingray and a chorus pedal. :)

15. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Perfect. You should be able to nail the tone then. :bassist:

He also added, that he "loves playing fretless" and, "tries to emulate that sound sometimes with sliding notes and feel", when I told him about the theories that the track was recorded with a fretless.

Let us know how it goes!