Quik sadowsky question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, May 23, 2005.

1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    do sadowskys cut through the mix very well?

I have noticed with alot of kiss recordings genes bass comes through very nicely, will a sadowsky do that? anytips on getting more "cut" ? thanks,
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The sadowsky will cut just like any J would, it'll just sound better.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They have many kinds of "cut" availible ... active brightness or passive "grunt". Neck pickup "bark" or bridge pickup "punch".

So yes, they have lots of great sounding ways to cut through a mix, but if you're really worried about it, *nothing* cuts like a modulus graphite quantum spi5.
  5. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Like a rapier!
  6. Wrong question.

The real question should be:

"Will a Sadowsky cut through the mix and sound good doing so?"

To which the answer is yes.

A chainsaw will cut through the mix, you will find.
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "cutting through the mix".

For stage monitoring, you have your bass amp and maybe some bass through a wedge or a side through.

For front of house, a good mix will not have anything cutting through. Everything will be mixed to the room to give the complet band as good a sound as can be achieved.

If you are not going through a PA and relying solely on your amp, unless you are a taking a solo I don't understand why you need to "cut through".

If it's clarity to be heard and felt, that's a good combination of bass, amp, eq setting, strings and technique.

To that end, an SX bass can "cut through" as much as a MIM or a Sadowsky.

Not meaning to be confrontational here. I see term used often and I'm not sure I understand what we're looking for.
  8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I own and sometimes use jazz style basses (3) and have a Sadowsky Metro too. I found the Fender MIA Deluxe and Mike Lull M5V actually suited my needs tone wise better, cutting through better in the lows with more defined "thunk" and the highs voiced a little higher than the Sadowsky which also I prefer. The Sadowsky pre-amp in my opinion is voiced in such a way which renders it less useful than the inferior Fender instrument. I'm a fan of onboard 3 band EQ's so the Sadowsky leaves me in tone tweaking mode too often.

I found my particular Sadowsky (ash/maple) having a fair amount of "air" in the low end which, for me, made the low end LESS defined. My personal tastes and conclusions have led me in the direction of basses with soapbar style pickups which for me, have more punch and throw with a more even tone compared to a J style pickup. (Therefore my MTD 535 almost ALWAYS goes to the gig, being the most versatile of all my tools)

Having said that, I'll add that my Lull M5V has the most solid defined low-end of all my J style basses.
  9. I understand it as referring to a high volume situation where keyboards or guitar (or, regrettably, kick drum!) tend to invade the sonic space usually taken by bass, and the bass has to be heard through it....grungy, metally, alternativy sorts of music. The bass "cuts through" normally by cranking, or at least tweaking upwards, the low mids or by using amps of such majestic power and headroom that it not so much cuts through as steamrollers over....

What do other people think on this?
  10. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Thanks Andy.

Are you getting the same sunshine we're getting here today?

11. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    I've found a noticable difference in the tone of my bass depending on whether it is loaded with Humbuckers or Single-coils. Although the stock humbuckers sounded pretty good, I vastly prefer the sound of the Sadowsky single-coils. To my ears, the humbuckers are a little too scooped-sounding. They lack some of the critical, thoaty mids that make a Jazz bass sound so terrific. I had the shop swap out my humbuckers for single-coils, and I am absolutely thrilled with the results.

As for cutting power, for me, this means the ability for the bass notes to be heard distinctly from the other instruments. But that being said, although the bass line should be distinct and audible, it should not be obtrusive. Some instruments are so mid-heavy that they they have tremendous cutting power, but the don't fill out mix very well; i.e., they sound good in the bedroom, but they sound like twinkies when played in a band situation. Other basses sound like a blurry wall of mud in the house mix or on tape. If a bass is blurry, or is difficult to hear in the mix (say because of a wall of Les Paul noise or a pain in the neck keyboard player with a busy left hand), I typically roll off the extreme low end a little, and give the bass a bump in the EQ at around 220 Hz.

The great thing about my single-coil-loaded V5 is that not only is it clear and articulate in the mix, but it also locks in seamlessly with the kick drum. It is an excellent choice if your role in the band is to be a supporting player. There are other basses that are more mid-heavy whose sound will tend to "stick-out" more in the mix. This isn't always a good thing; usually, these basses might work better as soloing instruments. But for dishing out support, a single-coil-loaded Sadowsky is my top choice. My V5 only weighs 8.4 pounds. Great sound. Great playability. No shoulder pain. It has become the only bass that I'm playing anymore.

12. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Cutting through has to do with finding your slot in the sonic space, not overpowering everyone else. This is IMO where Fender style basses (especiall P basses) shine ... instead of trying to produce every frequency imaginable, they "choose their battles" and put out a throb on the bottom for support, a solid low mid bump for pitch definition, then choose one funky frequency in the highs to punch through and help you hear your note attack. Its usually better if this is NOT 5kHz+ unless you are slapping. IMO you need to have some kind of attack on every note or everything just gets blurry. Its like a good kick drum sound ... 40hz and 4kHz, and nothing in between. Bring the bass up just above (40-300hz) and just below (2-4kHz) the kick, and you've got yourself a mix :cool:

Thats what I meant with my previous post, by playing with the controls on the Sadowsky you can dial in a few different characters in the highs and you can find your spot with your band. For rock, try going passive and rolling a tiny bit toward the neck pickup. That "bark" is usually killer.

BTW, I almost never use the onboard EQ. Only if I'm dissapearing or I want a little more spank for fingerstyle funk will I bump the highs a tiny bit, or sometimes I'll roll toward one pickup to get a different vibe, use the bass EQ to balance out the mid boost that results, then back the volume off a little since that new tone will be louder. If you use the EQ all the time you are going to kill your mids and you won't be able to use the passive mode, which IMO is a very cool sonic tool.
  13. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    I always thought cutting through the mix is when you get heard really well without just cranking the volume.listen to songs like hotter then hell by kiss. You'll see what I mean.
  14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I agree. ;)
  15. YES
  16. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I thought humbuckers boosted mids- isn't that part of the reason they are so popular with guitarists?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Lots of strong projecting tight low end makes for a great live bass.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Watch American Idol tonight. Ricky may be playing one (if he's not playing the Smith). His cuts through just fine.
  19. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    That's when they're wired in series, parallel gives you scoopy. The Sadowsky 'buckers are supposed to sound like single coils though.