Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quilted Coco Bolo? Grab your check book

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Jul 2, 2001.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    A while ago Dave Pushic of DP Custom mentioned that he had found a stock of quilted coco bolo, but before he could acquire any, " those b@$t@rd$ at Alembic bought it all".

Wanna see what they did with some of it?

http://www.alembic.com/info/featured_custom.html

Peace,

James (your friendly neighborhood Alembizoid)

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Wow!!!
    At $20,000 is a bit expensive.
    :D
    But if there is something I like about Alembic, is their attention to detail.
    There is nothing in their basses you can say.. "This is not perfect, "·%$·%· makes it better"
    It may not be perfect in sound , but the detail on the Inlays, Fretboard and finish is just perfect.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

James - Unless there was another thread I didn't catch, yours truly was the one whining about how the pricks at Alembic came in and snatched up the quilted cocobolo I found for Dave to use on my bass.

However, I found some slabsawn cocobolo which I think is comparable. Dave got some, I selected a board, and I sent a nice payment to him to make sure this stuff didn't get away. If I knew how to get the pic from my e-mail to this post, I'd put it up. Oh, well, you may see it when it's finished.

Actually, cocobolo isn't priced all that crazy. The trick is to find a board with the coloring AND the figure. Most of what I've seen has one or the other but not both, or has neither.

BTW, I found one guy who is sitting on some old growth quilted cocobolo. The only problem is that he will only sell the entire lot to the highest bidder over $21 grand.

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    That bass is truly awesome. The 5 string Europa is my favorite design from Alembic. Then with Series I electronics and that spectacular wood, I think I'm ready to take out a second mortgage on my house.

Bones

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    very, very beautiful, but 20 000$????

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Rickbass1 wrote: "James - Unless there was another thread I didn't catch, yours truly was the one whining about how the pricks at Alembic came in and snatched up the quilted cocobolo I found for Dave to use on my bass. "

I'm pretty cool with the folks at Alembic, so I'd never refer to them as pricks or whine about anything they do, except maybe keeping one of my repairs for way to long.

The statement I referenced was definitely made by Dave Pushic. If the tone of my original post made it appear as though I thought he was whining, that's not the case. I specifically remember the quote because I thought it was particularly cool and 'cause it said three things about Dave that I can respect:

1) He's in there swingin' with the big dogs,

2) He's goin' after the high quality materials for his product, and

3) He's up to providing some high spirited
    competition

Peace,

James

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I just read a post from Mica Wickersham (Alembic President) at the Alembic Club website. Seems that the quilted coco bolo adds $3,500 PER SIDE!!!! to the cost of the bass. Incredible.

Peace,

James

8. rickbass

I'm tellin' ya James, I was onto that same supply. Unless they're impreganting the wood with red mercury or platinum, that is called "grabbing your ankles."

Dave Pushic never gave any indication of reaming me like that when we thought we could get the wood. But then, he doesn't have all the overhead, among other factors, (like brand name recognition....yet).

9. rickbass

Please read my post more carefully, James. I didn't come anywhere near saying Dave was whining.

I clearly referred to myself as the one who was whining because I found the wood originally, and turned Dave onto it for the body of the bass I want. By time Dave quickly got in touch with the source, Alembic moved in.

They're still pricks to me, but that's how poker gets played and I'll lump it. I don't blame the selller or Alembic.

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Rick,

I just re-re-re-read your post.

Homer Simpson voice on....

Dooohhhh!

Homer Simpson voice off.

Anyway, I'm keepin' an eye on Pushic. One of these days I'm gonna "need" a 6 string. It'll probably be a used Smitty, a Cirrus, or a Pushic.

I'll be interested in hearing how yours turns out.

Peace,

James

btw - whether you or Dave said it, it's still a cool quote. :D

11. rickbass

Thanks for taking the time to re-read. With so much info overload on TB, I have to catch myself constantly to keep from reading what I expect as opposed to what someone actually said.

Wood is still a snag on mine. I had to dump the snakewood fingerboard idea because no one had a decent piece big enough (the trees are quite small).

So, one of my snakewood sources was surprised by some goncalo alves pommele turning up in one of his shipments. He was supposed to send pics of the piece he would sell to me for the fingerboard, for Dave and I to look over last week. Friday, he told me his digital camera broke and the pics would be delayed.

Perhaps I should change the inlay work I ordered to a black cat or the number 13 :rolleyes:

12. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA

A bigger factor is that I don't believe in adding insult to injury by tacking high profit margins onto already higher cost options.

DP

13. That is a nice bass!!..... Even I (owner of an Alembic Rogue) think that is way too much over priced! But since Alembic do not retain it's value that well....just wait until it's available somewhere used in about few months time. It should be around $2000....or I'll make sure it's around $2000.....hehehe:)

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Arvidgunardi,

I'm with you. It's too rich for my blood, Alembic-slut that I am. But somewhere out there there's a buyer for this. Since NOTHING these days goes for list, it is possible that somebody might pop for 12 - 15 grand on this one.

Somebody just bought an old Series I previously owned by John Entwistle on eBay for north of 5 grand.

Alembic has also sold some of there 25th Anniversary Series II no holds barred basses that listed at $25,000. Don't know what they sold for, but, again, well beyond my reach.

Peace,

James

15. rickbass

James - Probably the same market niche that gets the solid gold chassis option on their Allessandro amps at $50k US.

Does the Sultan of Bahrain slap some funk.......?

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Rick,

I know less than jack about Alessandro amps, but I do know a lot about Alembic owners and I converse via email & yahoo forum with many of them almost daily. Let me share a few stats with you. All of these are easily checked:

* From Feb 99 - July 01 Alembic has posted 30 Featured Custom basses & guitars on their website.

* The lowest list price for a custom was $3,565 for a guitar

* The highest list price was $27,000 for a double neck Series II bass

* The average list price for the 30 customs was $11,041.

* Of the 30, 24 were ordered and specced out by an individual, so they were sold before they were ever shown. That includes the $27,000 doubleneck

* Most of the high prices were driven by features the person ordering asked for specifically and was willing to pay for.

* Since I converse with the owners of several of these instruments, I can tell you they don't sit in glass cases. They get played.

* For many (probably most) of the people ordering custom Alembics, this is not their first Alembic, so they know what they're getting and what they'll be paying, and they feel it's worth it. I myself have owned six, three of which I still own. A seventh is unlikely, but not out of the question.

* Many of the "custom" ideas that customers ask for work their way into the dossier of widely available options at Alembic (custom inlays, 3/4 bodies, Hearts, Stingers)

The point I'm trying to make in this embarassingly long post is that even though Alembics are not for everyone, there is a non-trivial slice of the population that is willing to spend a lot of money to get EXACTLY what they want. That's the type of person who will probably buy the $20,100 quilted coco bolo bass (assuming it doesn't already have an owner).

Peace,

James

17. rickbass

James - That's amazing to me. But they've been around a long time, relative to most makes, so obviously there is a market. But, the Stanley Clarkes of the world are certainly a niche market who can afford about anything they want.

What is curious to me is that the really high end gear doesn't seem to "get out in public." Over the decades, I've never seen anyone play a Glockenklang either, but they're certainly out there in substantial numbers.

18. Just a note. Some of the images on that page aren't dimensioned properly so they have a lot of 'jaggies' on the lines. Here is the same image that they have improperly scaled at their web site in its full scale:

[​IMG]

Looks much better, eh?

- Dave

19. Indonesia is neighbor to Brunei. As most of you know The Sultan of Brunei was the Richest man for several years until Gates took over. You guys won't believe the true stories of what his wife would do when she decides she wants to hear some music if she can't sleep at night. I swear I'm not BS-ing!! She would have a bunch of INdonesian or Malaysian famous artists who would be willing to work for 3 months and up as her personal entertainer. The pay is NOT BAD!!! The band would go everywhere she goes(Japan, South America etc), and entertain her whenever she wants. That would mean 2-3 AM if she can't sleep. I am dead serious guys!! Birthday present for the band members would be Jaguar S-type for example, or whatever she feels like. I am praying HARD that I'll somehow get the connection to get that job.

My point would be..The Sultan doesn't know anything about Alembic guitars/bass. If they do....HAHA....imagine what would the people in Alembic would charge them.

Thanks for reading this pointless story!:)

20. rickbass

arvid - I used to work with a woman who's brother did some kind of computer graphics work with something called "wireframes." The Sultan needed his talent to make a video about his air force and some new jet fighters they had recently bought.

This guy said while he was working for the Sultan, the benefits were just INCREDIBLE!!!! Want a woman? Here, take your pick. Want steak for dinner this week? What do you want flown in? Kobe beef from Japan or Black Angus beef from the midwest USA? No clean clothes? The tailors will be up to your room to get you fitted for some new clothes. That's how he was taken care of.

Too bad this guy wasn't a bassist.

How's your custom with the free macassar ebony fingerboard?