Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quilted Tops / Finishing Colors ??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joiner, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Hi at all ...

after all that Spector / Ibanez thing, I bought a Spector NS2000/5 and now I think about building my own bass.
    I would get the parts from Carvin. I´ve heard they`re pretty good. So I would go for a 5 String Swamp Ash Body, a 5-String Neck with plain headstock.
    I want to add a quilted Maple Top and maybe some sunburst finish. Do you know any place where I could get quilted Maple from ? Just a thin layer, like about 1/2 inch or 1 inch or maybe two.
    Then I`d like to know what kind of color I should use. Do you know where I could get colors for finishing ?
    Any help would be really great.

Thanks,

Joiner

2. Joiner, if you are going to build a Carvin kit and want to add a quilted maple top, you won't need wood near that thick. Thin veneers are all that is required to get that look. BUT and this is a big BUT...if the Carvin body (I've never seen one) has any contouring away from the face - like the Fender under the right arm - you will not be able to cover the entire face with the veneer. Veneer have flexibility in only one direction. These contours generally cross 2 or more geometric planes and are very complex curves. The veneer simply can't bend in that direction. You've seen this in various high end laminated bases that have a dark portion of core wood exposed at the point I mentioned before. That said, veneers won't add significantly to the thickness of the body. If the Carvin body is flat across the face you can get some really neat veneers that are backed with a black phenolic that would work really well. After gluing it to the surface and finishing the edges, you will have a very tasty thin black line seperating the veneer from the core wood.

Now if you want to build your own body from these flame, curly, tiger, or birdsye maples you can get what you need from a supplier called Yankee Hardwood. They offer exotic figured woods in small quantities to wood hobbyists all over the nation. Their website is at http://www.yankeehardwood.com/ I am not affiliated with the company. You can buy a 10 BF pack of whatever wood you want for a lot less than you would pay for a single chunk from a manufacturer. That's about the best advice I can offer.

[Edited by Hambone on 10-22-2000 at 08:02 PM]

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That url gave me a page called Virtual accoutns directory, and told me that my browser is too old.

>If you reached this directory, it means you are using an older browser that does not return an "http host header". All newer browsers (Netscape 2.0 and above, all MS Internet Explorers, and just about all other newer browsers) return this header. Using an http host header is a much more "net friendly" than using a dedicated IP address - much of the congestion on the net is due to the need to route up to several hundred IP addresses to reach one machine!!! For more details on this see our page on Virtual Hosting.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Joiner -

Regarding finishing, I've had good luck with "Woodburst" colors. They're a liquid, ready to apply transparent finish that has tung oil as a component. Follow the directions, and final finish with as many coats of tung as you wish.

This stuff makes "Swamp Ash" look so good, you may want to forget a veneer! It darkens the grain figure very nicely... If you don't use additional coats of tung, it makes what I would describe as a lightly oiled, stained finish.

I get mine at a local woodworking store (my favorite color is "Bing Cherry" - a nice trans maroon), but I'm told you can get info and buy it on the 'net. Search around under "woodburst".

Good luck!

5. Embellisher and others -

Though the link was spelled right and phonetically correct, there was a small error in the syntax. It's been corrected, try it now!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Hambone. Cool site. Giving me ideas already!:D