Quilter Bass Block 800 or Bergantino Forte

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by galacticorgangrinder, Nov 17, 2017.

1. galacticorgangrinder

galacticorgangrinder

Jan 18, 2015
    I'm looking for opinions/comparisons on these two bass heads. Any comments/insights are much appreciated! I like that the Quilter can be used as a power amp, bypassing the pre for certain gigs. Is the Forte capable of that also? Looking for any other thoughts on the two amps as well. Thanks in advance!

2. The Forte just came out this month, so it'll be a while before the verdict is truly in.

3. Kerplunk

Kerplunk

Sep 29, 2015
    I have the Bamp. Then I tried a Bass Block. The Forte is a Bamp without the bells and whistles. The Bass Block has some serious heft to whatever you put into it, and it isn't a matter of volume/power. At low volume the Bass Block delivers punch/heft. I ended up returning the Bass Block because the Bamp had spoiled me. I found I couldn't get enough variation from the BB tonally. I guess you could put an eq pedal, either before the input or through the effects return/send. It's an option I never tried.

You can use any amp with an effects send/return as a power amp by plugging the output of your preamp into the return of your Bass Block/Forte.

You could buy both and have either as a backup.

4. galacticorgangrinder

galacticorgangrinder

Jan 18, 2015
    Thanks very much, that's some helpful info. My understanding though is that an effects send/return is different than a line in, because the effects send/return doesn't usually bypass an amps preamp, where as the line in on the bass block does bypass the preamp, and lets you use another preamp connected direct to the bass block power amp, bypassing it's own pre. It doesn't appear that the Forte gives this option. So, with an external preamp in the effects/send, you are then coloring the tone twice with 2 preamps.

5. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Tried the Quilter and too me it has somewhat hard and boxy mids. I could not eq them out.
    Sent it back. For a separate power amp the Demeter Minnie is far superior.
    Just my thoughts, YMMV.

6. Tried the bass block but I just could not dial it in to a sound a liked. Plus the fan on mine was so loud it was distracting. The Mesa D 800 nailed everything I was looking for and more.

sludgetail and Dp1363 like this.
  7. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I use the Mesa Subway DI pedal with the Demeter Minnie and it kills.

sludgetail and bucephylus like this.
  8. galacticorgangrinder

galacticorgangrinder

Jan 18, 2015
    I noticed you've got your Demeter Minnie for sale though? Find something you like better?

BaltoNealio likes this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    The effects send is post the preamp stage. Anything you want in front of the preamp just gets plugged into the instrument jack. The effects return is just a line into the amp’s power stage.

So if you plug into an outboard preamp that has a sufficient output to drive the main amplifier’s effects return, you effectively have an entirely different amp since you’re only using the main amplifier as a power amp. I do this all the time.

I wish amps would come with a switch to let you easily bypass the built-in preamp stage. That would eliminate the need to go futzing around in back to get to the effects return jack and make life so much easier for people like me. :laugh:

10. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I'm on the fence.

11. galacticorgangrinder

galacticorgangrinder

Jan 18, 2015
    Any new opinions on the Forte compared to the Bass Block 800?
    As far as a Class D power amp that has some good heft, I'm thinking these 2 heads likely lead the pack for under a G.

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    sonically I find the Forte/B to be very clean and linear from top to bottom with great detail and clarity, whereas the BB800 is more full blooded, round/warm and IMO has more kick to its low end. I really like the limiter circuit in the BB800 and have heard others say that it reminds them of light tube compression, in a good way.

Definitely different animals, and depending on what you're after sonically, it shouldnt be too hard of a call, since these two amps are so different sounding.

Type-55 likes this.
  13. galacticorgangrinder

galacticorgangrinder

Jan 18, 2015
    Thanks, I really appreciate that info.
    I'm mostly trying to figure out which of the two would sound best when used as a power amp, with a vintage svt tube preamp.
    Looking to have compact clean, robust sounding class d power and I know many class d amps can be prone to a slightly thinner sound. But these two units seem to be better than most from what I've read.
    I like the option of using the amp standalone as well for some gigs when I don't feel the need to have the svt tube tone.

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    If you’re looking for just basically a power amp, there are some options that would be more cost effective and potentially better performing. The Rad1000, sumo (the non baby version), Jule m700 and the new pascal module come to mind.

15. galacticorgangrinder

galacticorgangrinder

Jan 18, 2015
    Did you ever try the Bass Block via the xlr input? I'm curious if the tone you described "full blooded, round/warm and IMO has more kick to its low end" is mostly a result of the quilter's preamp/limiting, or if the power amp in it is also coloring the tone. If I could use it both stand alone with it's own color and as a flat/even sounding power amp that allows another pre to handle all of the color, that would be ideal for me.

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I keep meaning to try the quilters xlr in but I haven’t yet. The favorable tone could be coming from the preamp, power amp or both, but the heft/slam/weight of the notes would seem to be function and byproduct of the way the power section delivers.

A good buddy uses his quilter as a power amp with his tube di and says he likes it better than the power amp in/fx return on the tone hammer and GK heads (250asx2), and also likes it more than the jule m700. FWIW

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    galacticorgangrinder likes this.
  17. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Any idea which tube DI he uses?

18. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    He uses a Teagarden fatboy

19. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I traded the Demeter so I'm still looking. I really liked the form factor of the Demeter Minnie 800.
    I'm trying to find a head that will work.

20. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I wish all these tube DI's didn't cost so much.