1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter Bass Block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tjreclus, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Any one tested the shift line Olympic preamp with the quilter?

Karl Kaminski likes this.
  2. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    +1^

3. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Man, I love this thing. I tested with both my active monitors and a Markbass New York 121 and it sounded great. I can't wait to test it with an acoustic or double bass. On board limiter is pretty damn good, too!

bdplaid, acleex38 and monsterthompson like this.
  4. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Yes I have and it works really well. An Arkham Zephyr works really nice also. They are two different flavors that I’m happy with.

5. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Set the amp for "tube-y" kind of compression when digging hard and stomp on a B3K/B7K or an OCD kind of bass overdrive. Instant punk bass tone, it's so good it's unbeliavable.

6. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts Supporting Member

May 24, 2004
    i just bought @grimmchaos bass block and i'm pretty hyped. Hope it lives up to all the love for it

will post a report when i get it

edsand, donahue and grimmchaos like this.
  7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Here's a little tip for the BB800 users: HPF and LPF effects are very trendy these days; lots of Talkbassers are paying $100-200 (or more) to add this functionality to their pedalboards. But the BB800 can achieve a similar effect using only the built-in EQ! Simply turn the Depth knob counter-clockwise to approximate a HPF effect, and turn the Contour knob clockwise to approximate a LPF effect. I was experimenting and found that setting Depth at 10 o'clock and Contour at 2 o'clock was pleasing to my ears. Kind of a vintage, mid-heavy tone, without any boom in the low frequencies or hiss in the high frequencies. :)

8. Walking

Walking

Apr 5, 2010
    Minnesota
    I just got mine. Overall pleased with the result. My setup was a carvin brx 2.10 and a carvin 500 watt class d bass amp. It put out a lot of sound, but I felt the sound was mushy, maybe overly growly if that was a sound they were going after. I felt that either one or both of the units was not up to snuff. I wondered if I had a blown speaker or two and was going to have it checked out. I took a gamble that it was the amp, and my quilter bass block gave the 2x10 a new lease on life. The words immediate, direct, punchy, visceral, control, come to mind.

There is a low level hiss, plus low level fan noise--probably not audible in a band setting.

At this point, very impressed with the sound of my carvin brx2.10. I was thinking of getting something larger like a 15, but with the quilter, I can see it was the carvin amp that kept it from its full potential. This is a good development, because that 2.10 is heavy enough without going to something even larger.

The minimalist approach to tone controls was also a selling point. I have more than enough on the bass already. Don't want to complicate the circuit to do something I don't need done.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    bdplaid likes this.
  9. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    I played through one at a local blues jam. The owner, who also plays upright, said that he is very happy with the Quilter. He mentioned to me that he isn't much of knob turner so he was happy to see that the amp didn't have a bunch of controls to memorize; he just tweaks it when he switches between upright and electric then he is good to go!

CunniMingus and bdplaid like this.
  10. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I have a BB800 on the way along with a Meatsmoke pre. Together both cost about as much as any single amp I could want, but the more I think about, this might sound better than any (tube) amp I could want and be a heck of a lot lighter and more portable! I will also report when I receive them.

11. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Anyone tried the BB800 with a Mesa Subway cabinet? I have the chance to get a 1x12 at a good price but I don't know how they're EQd.

12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Been using the BB800 with EBS Valve Drive and Barber Linden preamps. I've never used any amp that sounded so great by itself AND played so well with preamps. With the Quilter's unique EQ you don't end up with much conflicting overlap between onboard and outboard EQ circuits. If a preamp sounds good it'll work in front of the Quilter.

13. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    BB800 appreciation of the day: the contour knob. I really love this knob (clockwise) for tight, articulate fingerstyle playing. The great thing, even at extreme settings clockwise, it rolls off any clacky, string noise laden highs but leaves the crucial midrange frequencies totally intact. Even with a passive tone control on a bass, they’ll start to get into carving out some midrange....not so with the contour knob rolled to the right. Very nice feature.

wave rider, Agosix, bdplaid and 3 others like this.
  14. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I used mine with a tube pre in front and I LIKED it.

15. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I use two subway 115 cabs with mine. Love it. I'm not a fan of 12s, but I haven't played through two SW112s stacked.

16. symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    just got it. sounds great. So far i'm liking a mildly scooped sound (few detents left on the countour) with a small bass boost (few detents right on the depth) but live id probably opt for a few detents right on the countour instead. Not actually a big fan of the way the breakup sounds when you crank the gain up which is unfortunate but i'm just leaving the gain lower.

i like that i can bypass the preamp with the line in, very cool. So far i'm liking just running my preamp in the front and using both the bass block preamp and my external preamp for extra shaping/tubey gain

i dont get why the output to the cabinet doesn't get muted when you plug in headphones. Am i doing something wrong? The headphone out is actually quite good (not very noisy, huge plus) but having to unplug the speakon every time i want to use the headphones seems odd.

and finally, i've never had an amp with this much power packed in and only have a 300 watt cabinet. kinda scared to push the limits. the Master maxes out at 400 watts when the cab is at 8ohms right? So if i keep my cab at 8 ohms (got a 4/8 ohm toggle) i should be able to go up to about 3/4th's dimed on the master without blowing the speaker right

Agosix, CunniMingus and grimmchaos like this.
  17. symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    The unit might actually have the 'thermal regulation' defect described earlier in the thread which causes white noise on startup.
    I'm letting the unit run for a half hour to see if it goes away. It's really a quiet white noise that almost sounds like bacon cooking. Is this it? Mute enabled, volume/gain off, nothing in front of the amp besides a bass in the input. It's only audible with the tweeter on. I dont think its normal tweeter hiss because it isn't an unchanging "hissss" it has some ups and downs and cuts

its really not a biggie. only audible at practice volumes with no ambient noise. It sounds higher pitched in the video than it is in reality because of the laptop mic.

edit: yeah after having it on for a while there is no more digital sounding cutting in and out white noise, now only regular tweeter hiss is left. Pretty sure now

as a further test I A/B'ed it with a TCE BH250. BH250 doesn't reproduce the noise and any tweeter noise that is present with the BH250 cuts completely when you mute it. Bass block has the noise with the mute engaged.

heres a good demo of whats happening

I sent Quilter an email. Let's see what they have to say :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    That was an issue with some of the early BB's.
    Quilter will have you send it in for fixing. They'll do you right.

CharlieC likes this.
  19. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I've noticed a slight hiss at home. On gigs it's completely inaudible. Even if they'll fix under warranty it I won't bother. I'm glad this kind of issue is being discussed but to post it on Youtube falls into the "you got too much time on your hands dude" category. And for the record I'd use the Quilter over the TC even if it was picking up air traffic control broadcasts like a beat up old tube amp. What I'm experiencing isn't even close to bad enough to be without it for several weeks.

20. symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    literally took me 2 minutes to take that video and post it

just because equipment is excellent doesn't mean you shouldn't analyze it critically so that the gear keeps getting better and better in the future.

don't even bother fixing it? if they'll do it for free and I can get rid of hiss at practice volume why not? maybe I'm more picky than others but I want my sound to be perfect, exactly how I want it.

CharlieC and triode6L6a like this.