1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter Bass Block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tjreclus, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    Yeah, that’s not normal. Quilter will take care of you, my man.

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm not criticizing who you are are what you're saying. I just don't like this kind of publicly posted video. Like I said above I appreciate these kinds of discussions. Hearing the experience of those using gear I have or am interested in is important. One problem with casual posting of nit picking criticism on Youtube is that there is no practical opportunity for the criticized to respond. Sure you can comment but a lot of people never read them. Even if they do a written response to a video carries a fraction of the weight. Forums like this are a much more fair and less one sided way to do that kinda business.

The other issue I have is that as much as I want to hear what you and others think I have to take the opinions of a self professed picky perfectionist with a bit of a grain of salt. Who you are might be apparent in a vid but then again it might not. it will come out during a forum discussion though. And I do need to know this for your opinions to be useful to me. I buy amps like the BB800 for use on gigs not to practice through at home. On stage if I can't hear a little hiss that I would in a quiet practice environment then it's a non-issue for me.

Why not? Because I'm not spending the shipping cost to fix a problem that isn't a problem and be without my main gigging amp for several weeks. My BB800 isn't a show and shine muscle car that only gets driven slow on sunny Sundays. It's a work truck and any minor imperfections that don't effect the job getting done don't matter.

son_of_mogh, Jefenator and Valveman like this.
  3. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts Supporting Member

May 24, 2004
    actually i believe they will pay shipping costs for this fix and do it for free. Considering I'm not gigging at the moment and have a couple of other amp options available right now I have no reason to not fix it

Jeff Bonny, donahue and CharlieC like this.
  4. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Quilter will fix it and it’s worth it. I had that problem and there were earlier mentions of this problem and once fixed you are good to go. Their service is great.

Mike Barry and CharlieC like this.
  5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    they fixed my BB800 noise floor issue very quickly and were awesome to deal with on it. Excellent and responsive customer service. Peter Melton is da man!

6. symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    yeah i emailed them yesterday and literally the CEO of the company Christopher Parks responded to me immediately. That is a good look for their service standards...i was like what? The CEO is answering random picky nerd questions about their products?

Agosix, Mike Barry and bdplaid like this.
  7. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Agreed - when I asked about fixing the hiss, Pat Quilter answered the email.

Agosix, Mike Barry and bdplaid like this.
  8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Legend has it if you call at the right time of day, Pat Quilter himself may answer the phone.
    Joking aside, Quilter is one of the best companies going these days, in both product and CS.

I know your BB800 is getting you work, and it'll suck to be without it, but trust me: They'll get it back to you fast, and you'll be grateful you took care of that issue when you did.
    I had to borrow a friend's amp for a couple weeks while they had mine, and it made me all the more glad to play through the BB again.

9. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I picked up my beloved precision from my go-to tech just yesterday. He did a new setup with flats, lower action, lower pickups and other minor adjustments. I tested the bass with his Roland Jazz Chorus (guitar) amp and didn't notice a huge difference in tone, to be honest. It was different of course, but still "familiar".
    I got home, plugged into my BB800 and man... it sounded so different that I thought I went home with somebody else's bass. :bored:
    With the amp set flat with minimal compression (DI into active monitors) I was able to hear and feel ALL the differences, I guess this amp should be used to test instruments, speakers, even pedals.
    I immediately heard a beautiful rounder/fatter tone, but the attack (especially with a pick), brightness and general "presence" of the sound was a little bit lacking. That's perfectly normal with flats, but this is the first time I hear the differences so well.
    Even bass frequencies were a little bit lacking, but I'm sure it's because of the lower pickups height. Former setup had pickups set way too high, so I was accustomed to an unbalanced tone for a while.
    I boosted the bass (4 detents) and cut the mids a little bit (2 detents) and now I have a very balanced fat warm bass tone. It sounds great even with everything flat, though. I just needed to adjust my ears a little bit.
    Great experience. :thumbsup:

10. symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    update
    sending off the BB800 today to get the noise floor fixed up. They're paying for return shipping and repairs. I love these guys already. Will report if the issue is gone when i get it back

beardedclam, Agosix, CharlieC and 2 others like this.
  11. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Last nights rig... 20180712_161847.

12. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    Hi Guys, I have a question.

I am very close to purchasing BB800. My only concern(so to speak..)is that XLR/DI issue which has been addressed lately on this thread(I read all of your opinion/suggestion..). Please forgive me for my ignorance, I am really not familiar with DI box(I have never used it because all of my current/past amps had/have more than capable DI out function)but can I simply buy/put a passive DI box between a bass and BB800 and send a "Dry" signal to PA/FOH just in case a sound guy has an issue with a function of BB800's XLR out? Thank you for your help!

13. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Yes. You sure can.

14. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    That's simple!? Wow! Thanks!:D

ahc likes this.
  15. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Yes you can but you can do with the Quilter alone just fine.

Sanchan, Brad Johnson and bdplaid like this.
  16. edsand

edsand

Jul 24, 2016
    What is the cab??? Sauce???

17. JOE EDO

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Bergantino NV610T. Quilter with Ampeg SVPCL into the passive input. with these fine animals...
    20180712_170834. 20180712_170841.

floydman, edsand and redstrand like this.
  18. JOE EDO

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Oh yes..drummer gave the Quilter a fist pump... 20180712_171851.

19. Voci

Voci

Oct 19, 2014
    06AE6A3C-C78E-4464-AF7F-2C780D485C9A.
    Yep. 112 and 115. Rig sounds great. I’ve just plugged in here, I think, as I don’t normally have the depth turned up quite so much.

SickAura likes this.
  20. edsand

edsand

Jul 24, 2016
    Sweet!
    Is that a Squier Jaguar SS!?!?!