1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter Bassliner 12" cabs - how are they crossing them over?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pat C., Jan 19, 2018.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Atlanta, GA area
    I've been taking a look at the Quilter bassliner cabs loaded with a Eminence Kappalite 3012LF and BH25-8.

Bassliner 1x12W | Quilter Performance Amplification

They're crossing that woofer over to a super-tweeter. I'm curious has to how they are getting a good result with this combination of components since the woofer has a rising response from about 500hz, a nasty peak at around 1.7k and then the response dives hard. The lowest point the tweeter can take over is 2.5k.

Pretty much every cab I've seen using this woofer utilizes a cone mid driver or larger HF driver/horn to facilitate a lower crossover point. This is the first I've seen from a reputable manufacturer that goes straight from woofer to super-tweeter. With this combo I'd expect a less than ideal high-midrange response around the crossover frequency.

Has anyone here played through these cabs and can offer an opinion on their response? Particularly if you can compare with other cabs with that woofer (Fearful/Fearless, Audiokinese, etc.). Or have any inside knowledge of the crossover/filtering specifics?
  2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The 3012LF's native response is not bad for electric bass, aside from the lack of top-end extension.

The BH25-8's response holds up well down to about 1.3 kHz, so my guess is that 2.5 kHz is the recommended lowest crossover frequency. Imo a lower crossover is safe if it's fairly steep.

In some of my cabs there are switch settings that essentially let the 3012LF run full-range, and then the midrange cone just sort of blends in with the woofer's top end.

In other words, I think the driver choice for the Quilter cab is totally viable, especially with the cabinet's built-in tilt-back that helps angle the tweeter more towards the ears a bit.
  3. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Aside from the precise frequency points that pretty much describes the response of most Eminence drivers, so that makes it a non issue, at least as far as electric bass goes.

Really? The defacto standard since the 1980s is to go from a woofer to a tweeter in the vicinity of 4 to 5 khz. They shouldn't, but they do.
    Why not ask Quilter?
    The BFM Simplexx series crosses the BGH-25 at 2 khz with a fourth order high pass, for the right reason, because even a ten will be beaming at 2.5 khz.
  4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Hmm. Seems odd. Why not use a 5" rectangular flare mated with a 1" or 1.4" driver and x-over at 1.8khz there abouts? Probably sounds good either way but that tweet would not be my first choice in that scenario.
  5. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    The BGH-25 is a bass cab specific tweeter. I wouldn't use it for PA, and wouldn't use a PA tweeter for bass. The only thing wrong with the BGH-25 is that it didn't come out 30 years ago. If there's a tweeter that really doesn't belong in a bass cab it's the ubiquitous Foster.
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Whats you opinion on this one? http://www.usspeaker.com/paudio pht-410-1.htm