1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter BB800 and pre-amp pedal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassometer, Jan 27, 2018.

1. I have a Quilter BB800, I love the powerful tone and ease of operation. It is lacking a bit top-end energy; it does not have the high end that my GK MB500 has in spades. I was thinking the best way around this is to use a pre-amp pedal.

What are the pros and cons of running the pedal in the input signal chain as opposed to plugging it into the XLR line in? What pre-amp pedals are known for their flat transparent tone? Which ones have a baked in high frequency push (I assume the GK Plex is one)?

I have always liked the idea of the Empress Para EQ but it does not have an XLR out. What about the EBS mico-bass or MXR offerings? Does the Tonehammer pedal have a lot of top end?

Lastly, I don't use a dirty sound although I do like to dial in some "hair" sometimes (which the Quilter is not very good at).

2. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    So, this works. I had the same issues.
    Wireless, Ampeg SCR-DI, BB800.
    FB_IMG_1515030257093.

3. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I run the SCR-DI in front of the BB800 and use it for the scooped ampeg sound and a bit more treble (the BB800 lacks that presence), I dial a bit of Grind in with the scrambler section for some grind when I need it. They work very well together.

4. Do you find that there is a little more top end sheen by lowering the input gain and compensating with the master?

5. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    What I like is the bit of compression the BB gives with the gain cranked to about 3 o'clock so I end up leaving it there, gives that tube amp sound. I usually never have to go past 11 with the master. I use the SCR-DI for the added trebel.

6. How much treble do you add in with the SCR-DI?

7. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Usually the trebel is set near or at 12 o'clock and the ultra hi switch is engaged. Mid is around 1 o'clock and Bass 1 o'clock. Ultra low is engaged.
    Again, the BB800 has a very thick meaty sound to it and with the SCR-DI set like this I can get the scooped Ampeg sound. The Scrambler section I usually use when I'm not using the preamp section of the Ampeg. This gives the BB800 that growl or dirt that is missing, especially when I've got my Fender American Deluxe Precision V adjusted with the bridge pickup prominent and the mids elevated, (Active electronics)

8. This is helpful, thanks

9. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

Nov 14, 2012
    Portugal
    Would it be possible to connect the Trace Elliot ELF to the BB800 using the D.I. out of the ELF to the Line in of the BB800? Would I damage anything?