1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quilter Big Bertha

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KPAX, Sep 22, 2008.

1. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    IDLE, OBSCURE GEAR-TALK WARNING:
    Ok gearheads, this has got to be one of the most interesting and obscure bass cabs ever and I'm wondering if anyone else knows of it or better yet has a photo.
    Quilter (which became QSC) made this cab in the early 70's and it was HUGE - I mean REALLY huge. It had 4 15's, 2 across the top, two across the bottom and a HUGE rectangular port in the middle. I believe the drivers were Altec 421A. Aside from being wide and tall, it was insanely deep.
    I'm always amused when I read guys saying how big the SVT
    8x10 is because you could probably put 2 or 3 of them inside a Big Bertha - no joke.
    I played an eb3 thru a Marshall superbass and a Quilter Big Bertha at a friends house when I was may be 12 or 13 and his neighbor complained that her dishes were vibrating out of her cupboards.
    Anybody else ever seen one of these? Dimensions? Better yet does anybody have photo they can post? It was an awesome freak of a cab.

2. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    SUBSCRIBED.

3. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I bought a Big Bertha head and cabinet from Pat Quilter in 1970. It's no exaggeration how big and loud that cab was. Sadly no pics of it are still around but I can attest to the legend. I've been playing 45 years and have never come across another box like it.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'll ask Pat if he has any pics.

BTW, he has created a spin-off company called Quilter Labs that is creating guitar and bass amps. It's a return to how he started, only with a lot more knowledge to work with.

5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Bob, please post or PM a pic if he has any. Over the years I've gotten a lot of disbelieving looks when I talk about that rig.

SO cool that Pat is getting back into instrument amps. In my opinion his were the best. I learned a lot about amps from talking to him in the old Costa Mesa shop. Dang, that was a long time ago.

Thanks for the update!

Grant

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Since you're in town, you should drop by for a visit. Pat splits his time between QSC on MacArthur and Quilter Labs on Sunflower. He always enjoys meeting people who remember his past projects.

7. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I will do that for sure. I live five minutes from either shop. He'd never remember me from back then but I remember him well. I'd love to talk to him for a few minutes anyway. Thanks!

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I live in an emptied out one. :bag:

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I asked Pat, and he said they never got around to photographing the Big Bertha. He said that a grand total of five were made.

Rarer than Fabergé eggs, they are! ;)

elkkid2 likes this.
  10. I use my old one as a road case for my two ampeg 810's

11. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks for the info Bob. Unfortunately I sold mine many years ago. At least I got to experience playing through one.

12. chrisparks

chrisparks

Dec 9, 2011
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Quilter Labs
    Kind of funny but by way of introduction, I am Chris Parks, CEO of Pat Quilter's newest venture. For those that don't know, Quilter Sound Company became QSC, and then Pat went into semi retirement and started Quilter Labs, which is now selling guitar amplifiers. In any case, I saw this thread and asked Pat about it, and he dug into an old archive of ancient QSC history and pulled out an old brochure of the product line. Turns out I have a photo for you if you will forgive the dimpled card stock that we had to scan it from.
    Quilter_catalog_page4_th.
    (Click this picture for a larger photo.)

Hope you enjoy.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Thanks, Chris!

I think there's a problem with the hyperlink in the image, though.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Try this:

Quilter_catalog_page4.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    WOW!!! Thanks very much for this, Chris. :cool:

16. Over 4 foot tall almost 3 foot wide and 2 foot deep! WOW did it come with roadies?

17. should have just come with an engine so you could drive it to the gig

18. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Whats the weight on a 415? Crazy

19. chrisparks

chrisparks

Dec 9, 2011
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Quilter Labs
    You're very welcome. I have to admit, it's kind of fun being in a startup with 40+ year deep roots. I am glad to be able to dig into the box of ancient history and help out.
    Now if only Pat was making a compact lightweight bass cab that had terrifying output power in the near future... But then again, you never know...
    ;)

elkkid2 likes this.
  20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Hmm, a powered compact bass cabinet? That would be a nice complement to the pair of K10s that I have. :cool: