Quilter Labs Bass Block 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sixgunn, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Long story short, I'm thinking about buying one of these without playing through one, as there are no dealers around.

This sounds like a near perfect amp for me. I love the two knob tone control. I play active basses and I generally have my amps set flat or close to it so I don't need a wide range of amp settings.

Does anyone have anything to say, good, bad or indifferent about these amps?

2. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Medina
    Looking at the same thing, so, I'll be watching this thread!

Low84 likes this.
  3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

4. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    You totally rock!! Have you heard one?

5. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Medina
    Yeah, read through there and asked a question. Maybe someone will see it here.
    Sounds like a solid unit. Screenshot_2017-10-16-14-59-28.png

6. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    I'll give you a synopsis based on having owned micros from Aguilar, Mesa, Darkglass, TC Electronic and amps in general from Peavey, Crate, Eden, SWR, Ampeg, Ashdown, Warwick, etc.

This thing is small, but very solidly built. The construction is on par with the vey best products I have ever owned in the field of music - tight tolerances, well engineered approach to layout, ease of use and just clearly very well planned.
    The two knob approach to the tone controls doesn't seem to be divorced from the gain circuit. You crank the gain, there's a bit of an underlying grind to the sound at least to my ears
    But overall, there is a very loud clarity in regard to the basic sound. I've never once had to go above the noon marking on either the gain or master to get volume that is just stupid loud.
    I am using at present two heavily modified cabs that used to be shells for Ampeg BA115 combo amps.
    Comparing this to the tone I got with the other micros, I think this is the loudest and clearest at the same time. The Mesa was close, as was the TCE, but overall I think the Quilter volume is stouter.
    If you want bells and whistles this is not your amp. If you want reliable power with the sound your bass makes, this is a great choice. To my ear, it is quicker, has a greater girth all the way across the spectrum and simply sounds great.
    And when the volume is low, it sounds like the same amp only quieter.
    I'd try it without fear if I were you.

James

7. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Be aware that the DI on these is controlled by the master volume. That's a deal killer for most.

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I had a Quilter Tone Block for a while & I think Quilters sound very tube-like for SS amps.
    Their support is apparently top notch as well.

I sent an eMail to them about make-shifting a Headphone jack onto the Tone Block & the owner got back to me right away with a schematic on how to do the job.
    Maybe it's a frequently asked question...

Jefenator, Sixgunn and murphy like this.
  9. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Great amp

Sixgunn likes this.
  10. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Interesting and thank you for that. :thumbsup: I suppose I could always use the DI on my wireless unit if it was a problem although I don't really change my amp volume during gigs.

11. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Thank you for this! Just the kind of info I'm here for. Pros and cons are both very much appreciated btw.

12. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have one and love it. I’ve owned a lot of amps, but in interest of space I’ll just list micros: Gallien Krueger MB500, MB800 and Fusion MB500, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and ShuttleMax 9.2. These are all great amps, but I wanted something neutral sounding. I was really looking for a class D power amp. This is the closest I’ve found, it can be easily adjusted flat. I wanted this because I often use pre amp pedals (GK Plex and MXR M80 in particular). That being said, it has a very interesting tone section, far more flexible that it first appears to be. Sounds great at very low and very high volumes. In just the last week I played my Fender Jazz Deluxe Fretless, Carvin LB76w, Spector Euro 4LX and Spector Legend through it and they all sounded amazing. Small, powerful, flexible and great sounding.

Agosix likes this.
  13. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I just pulled the trigger on one yesterday. I'll be posting impressions when I get it :hyper:

Freekmagnet and jazzbass_5 like this.