1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quilter toneblock vs 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zorf, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    was thinking of the 800 bassblock, but read the white paper on the quilter site, and wondering if i would be happier with the toneblock 200 for the "warmer" sound.
    i have a quilter 101 which sounds good for bass, but i got some less efficient speakers and need a bit more power on tap.
    The 200 would probably be enough, but not a lot of extra in reserve.
    Same size and weight. the 200 is a little less $.
    anybody try both?

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Doubling wattage gives about a 3db volume increase. So if you go from your 100 watt Mini 101 to the 200 watt Tone Block, and your new cab is 3db less efficient than your old cab, then theoretically you should be able to achieve equal volume.

Personally in your situation I would go for the 800. If you love the sound of the 101, you could use it as a preamp feeding into the BB800 power amp.

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  3. The 101 Mini operates at 50 Watts, with the exception of two choices in its styles dial.

4. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Right, so it's a 100 watt amp. I know because I have one. Love it! :)

5. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    love mine too.
    I use the "surf" setting, mostly, which is the "100 watt" setting.

6. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    I'll probably just get the bassblock 800.
    depending on how it sounds, i could move the 101.

7. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Mind if I ask which cabinet(s) you are using with your Mini 101? I use one or two Carvin 115MBE with mine.

8. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    mas 109 and mas 8

Mushroo and HolmeBass like this.
  9. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    i love my tube amps, but tired of looking for efficient speakers that go low without a big box.
    if i can get 80% there sound wise with modern mini gear, I"m good.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    inthevelvet likes this.
  10. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I thought the Tone Blocks are designed for guitar use.. EQ-wise..

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. I had a Tone Block 200 for a hot minute & the EQ was next to useless with bass, which is why I suggested the Pro Tone Block, even though I don't generally dig Quilter's lack of ability to bump up the mids.

telecopy likes this.
  12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the 800 sounds similar to my vintage mesa tube head dialed in for it's most clean and hi fi tone
    that being said it sounds nothing like my mesa tube head dialed in for tubey 70s heavy rock or 60s freeform jazz

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I think if Pat Quilter made a Power Block, it would sell big time. A mono amp with no EQ. EQ all in the pedal or multi effect of choice. So many people talk about using stereo PA amps so a tiny mono amp with flat response would be pretty attractive. I think Demeter and ISP make them?

johnpbass, cactus1 and Mr. Business like this.
  14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    If I may suggest, I own a couple Eden EX110's and they're surprisingly low, beefy, and get reasonably loud as a pair. They're rated at 300 watts RMS each, and I use them with a GK MB500. I have no problem keeping up with two loud guitarists and a loud drummer. There are lots of Edens on sale on eBay and GC used. Highly recommended.

Edit: There are also EX112's which handle more power and get deeper than the EX110's.

bassdood and pudgychef like this.
  15. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quilter did make a mono power amp (Tone Block 200), but it was discontinued, possibly due to lack of sales?

Link: Quilter Amps

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    telecopy likes this.
  16. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Those are the little EA Wizzy style cabs? Whizzer cones?

17. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Did not know this. Thanks.

18. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I wonder if Quilter has a friendly non compete with QSC that prohibits them from making power amps?

19. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Very valid question. I have wondered just how that operation operates. Quilter being QSC and vice versa..