1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quilter toneblock vs 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zorf, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    sometimes i wonder if i had just bought a qsc k12, instead of all the other stuff i bought, would i have been done a long time ago.

Johno Dunn likes this.
  2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Isn't the Bass Block essentially this, with a minimalist pre-amp thrown in for "free" at the price??? It couldn't cost much if at all less than the Bass Block, especially since Quilter apparently doesn't try to prevent retailers from offering discounts...I've seen or heard of up to 20% off the $600 street price which puts a new Bass Block at less than the used ones that are being offered in the classified folder!

Mushroo likes this.
  3. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    about the eq points being more for guitar:
    i hardly even use eq, unless there is a problem i want to fix.
    The sound of the instrument, with a good cab, placement of the cab, and how i use my fingers gets me options enough.
    i might have defective hearing as well as taste, however.

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Yes they are. I'm not a slapper, so I like a smooth, deep bottom end with crisp highs and distinct mids. The Edens provide just that. I'm very happy with my cabs. Two cabs in to the club, wife carries bass which holds small bass head, five minute setup and five minute tear down. And outstanding performance to boot!

I didn't have an opinion about the "whizzer" cones but after some gigs I found the whizzers provide very smooth and clear high end. I now prefer them to a tweeter.

pudgychef and telecopy like this.
  5. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I've got an EA Wizzy 12 M.. Nice little cab. I have a GK MB200 sitting on it. Very good, balanced tone.

soulstew, Gizmot and alaskaleftybass like this.
  6. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I hear ya. Block this, block that.. Lotta blocks going on there. If you started to accumulate them you might be a Block Head. I had a Bass Block for a day. Sent it back. Wasn't feeling it. I might be interested in a straightforward, no frills at all mono amp that could be driven by a Zoom pedal..

Mr. Business likes this.
  7. Mr. Business

Mr. Business Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    We want the same thing and others do as well. Do we need to start a petition or something?

basscapes and telecopy like this.
  8. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I'll sign.

basscapes and Mr. Business like this.
  9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Looking for a compact, reliable, no-frills power amp? There is an Acoustic Image Focus SA in the classifieds...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  10. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Someone from Quilter Labs (not Pat himself) chimed in on one of the large Bass Block threads recently when members there were asking about a power amp only version. He basically said the cost probably wouldn't be any less than the Bass Block, though it could be a bit smaller. He said they would need to be sure it would sell enough to pay for the new tooling etc. before they would consider making it, so he was gauging interest. Nearly everyone who replied said "no thanks."

telecopy likes this.
  11. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah but isn’t this a guitar head? Reverb?

12. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    i should have put this in the original post, but this is why i started this thread. From the quilter site:

" Those readers seeking an old-school tube-amp bass sound will like our 200-watt Tone Block series, which play louder than you would think due to the “inflationary” properties of our guitar-amp output impedance. These are well suited for bass players who like to exploit overdrive. The Bass Block will “growl” a bit when pushed, but never really bottoms out."

telecopy likes this.
  13. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Quilter BB800 sounds totally different from their guitar heads. The BB800 is clean sounds only, and the EQ and limiter are designed for bass. The guitar heads as you well know are capable of massive overdrive.

If you really dig the sound of the Mini 101 but need lots more wattage, you can achieve this by connecting the effects send of the Mini 101 to a power amp or to the effects return or aux in of a powerful head such as the BB800. I've experimented with my Mini 101 into my AI Focus SA, and it sounds great and is very loud (though I haven't tried it yet on a gig). They also stack perfectly and look nice together.

This is why I suggested in my original post that, for me and my preferences, owning both a Mini 101 and BB800 would be a more versatile setup than owning both a Mini 101 and Tone Block 200. With both the 101 and the 800, you would have a dirty preamp voiced for guitar, a clean preamp voiced for bass, a 100 watt power amp, and an 800 watt power amp. By mixing and matching those options you should be able to cover just about any gig.

mpdd and zorf like this.
  14. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    good advice. thanks.

Mushroo likes this.
  15. Mr. Business

Mr. Business Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I was in on that thread and while the majority were fine with the bb800, several of us could not live with the eq and just want the amp. Since others are interested, I’ll post a link to one I’m considering. Right now, they are on back order.
    500w mini Power Amp | Ganz Guitars & Amps

Inara likes this.
  16. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Bumping this old thread to share my experience now that I've owned a BB800 for a few weeks.

I was mistaken in my earlier comment that "The Quilter BB800 sounds totally different from their guitar heads. The BB800 is clean sounds only." In fact, it is quite possible to push the BB800 into distortion/overdrive if you are after that kind of sound. My BB800 and Mini 101 sound more alike than different. There is a lot of overlap between the sound of these two heads, more so than I would have guessed.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far in this discussion is the BB800's ventilation fan. If you play at very low acoustic volume, or you are mic'ing your amp in the recording studio, then you might notice the fan noise. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is present. If you play in a lot of acoustic/intimate situations then you would probably be happier with one of the fanless, lower-wattage Quilter amps.

In conclusion, my new recommendation is to choose whichever Quilter product has the best combination of wattage and EQ/features for your needs, and ignore whether it is a "guitar" or "bass" head.

17. Keithunem

Keithunem

Jun 17, 2018
    Bemidji, MN
    I just bought a new
    Quilter BB 800 cheap enough that I can justify using it as a power amp only and use a Felix or Fishman Platinum Pro as a pre-amp. I really don't think you could buy a better power amp for less than $500 (just mho).

18. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    The tone block 200 was designed to be a warm clean tube like head for a pedal board. It really needs a pre-amp for bass to shine. Even with guitar, you need pedals to get your sound. I use mine with a VT Bass pre-amp and I set the Tone block to line and flat. It behaves more like a power amp that way. I do all my eqing on the VT bass. It sounds pretty killer to me.

19. I had only passive instruments at the time. It probably would have matched well with either of the 3-band active instruments I have now.