1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quincy Jones says Paul McCartney was the worst bassist he ever heard

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gordon sims, Feb 7, 2018.

1. gordon sims

gordon sims

Nov 23, 2010
    928cat, sigterm, BuffaloBill and 18 others like this.
  2. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    That was a fun interview. Mr. Jones desires to tell it like he sees it, and does so.

sigterm, Miles_ONeal, gebass6 and 9 others like this.
  3. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    If anything, it's encouraging. That's why I continue to make noise.

4. I remember all the Beatle's songs and like them.

Quincy is disgruntled and probably doesn't even mow his own lawn.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

gordon sims , thanks for finding/sharing that!

while i think he may be a little harsh at times (in the interview), i don't have a problem with anything he said: i'd put a lot more stock in his take than anyone in particular who was mentioned by either him or the interviewer. if he said the beatles sucked as musicians (he would know!), so what?

i think his notes on contemporary musicianship (he blasted it) and production (he blasted that, too) are way more important than calling out mccartney. and: i agree with everything he said!

i think he's older than god and no longer sees a need for self-censoring. i see less need for it these days than when i was younger. more power to him. he can say whatever he wants. more importantly: if you filter out his interview attitude = valuable observations/lessons on music, the industry, and history.

6. dbbltime

dbbltime

Oct 5, 2014
    NRH, Texas
    Very interesting interview. Thanks gordon sims (sorry don't know how to underline words/names).

7. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    Great read.
    Nice to hear truth for a change

8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    same here. The Beatles were not at all about those virtuoso instrumental parts with weird time signatures, speed changes and improvised solo playing.
    They were about the quality of the song itself, the arrangement and
    certainly about hitting the right nerve at the right time.

9. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Meh. Lots of self-aggrandizement going on there.
    And i think we all know who will be remembered more in future generations....those lousy nonmusicianly Liverpudlians....

10. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    This interview is even more fun if you pretend to hear it in Sam Jackson's voice!

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

some.

depends on your reference: if you're a fan = the beatles win, hands down. if you're a musician = quincy's contribution is iconic. both are important contributors to the 'fabric', IMO.

928cat, brbadg, Kingmixer325 and 16 others like this.
  12. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    They are indeed both important,and i think there is a “truth” to what QJ said about them.
    Just not necessarily the only truth.....as in,maybe you don’t have to be a bebop legend to make memorable and even great music....

Dabndug, Artman, Kingmixer325 and 7 others like this.
  13. Q is certainly worth listening to, he has earned that much, but we don't necessarily have to agree.

Basiroti, brbadg, Guiseppe and 13 others like this.
  14. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    He's entitled to his opinion. I have one too and I totally disagree with him!

Dabndug, xroads64, ezra1 and 21 others like this.
  15. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Senile old curmedeon. Gushes over MJ who didn't play an instrument.

16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I didn't read the article, but compared to Quincy Jones who was an accomplished professional jazz musician long before becoming successful at a million other things in the business...yeah the Beatles are total hacks. Context folks.

Now to the average kid seeing them the first time, different story. And again, context folks.

17. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    Fun read, thanks. Definitely better when you use Sam Jackson's voice for Q's

18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Quincy's definition of a musician is probably more exacting and demanding than most. I've always thought of the Beatles as being very musical without being great musicians. And while I have nothing but admiration for Macca's bass playing on the later Beatles' records, the early stuff never struck me as anything extraordinary. Don't get me wrong. I am a big fan of the Beatles. But I also understand what Quincy is getting at.

19. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    The guy is a master, but c'mon. He also believes the mob killed JFK and asks the interviewer "what's your sign."

Please.

20. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Totaling agree w/ Q. Hanging around the bass players that he did, like Carol Kaye, Louis Johnson , Abraham Laboriel etc ., I can see why Q said that about Paul’s bass playing .

Q being an accomplished musician himself always surrounded himself with the best musicians , singers, and writers. Genius people tend to do that.

No MJ didn’t play an instrument professionally ( he could play piano, guitar , and drums ), but he was the best at what he did. Another genius!!