Quincy Jones says Paul McCartney was the worst bassist he ever heard

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gordon sims, Feb 7, 2018.

1. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I have no idea when Quincy Jones referred to. He said he met McCartney when he was 21. It wasn't till two years later that The Beatles released their first records. If, as some surmised, it was to The Beatles' early Cavern days they were raucous and messy, yet upbeat and infectious, attesting to their fan base. Listen to Cavern tapes of The Kinks. It was true of them too. There is no resemblance at all to their future hit records and live performances.

Paul McCartney grew into his own shoes and consequently produced some of pop's most enduring bass lines and melodic phrases. He appears mostly based in dance hall music, 50s rock and roll, R&B, and Motown. He's always maintained a strict discipline to simplicity that can be traced throughout his songwriting and records.

If that metric is below standards of criticism applied elsewhere in music then it is. Musical preferences needn't be an arbiter of musicality. I'd open a can of worms referencing primitive music styles and origins. But it's a legitimate comparison in complex rhythm, harmony, melody, and form.

Some ears prefer simplicity.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  2. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Geez, you're the one who keeps "digging in", in the face of obvious holes in your argument. It's highly unlikely that Jones saw the Beatles "pre-Hamburg", as they were virtual unknowns at that point, playing in tiny clubs like the Cavern, so it makes no sense at all to presume that's somehow what Q was talking about. If in fact he met McCartney when he was 21, as has been mentioned, that would have been in 1963 ... there's video evidence from that year of the Beatles in their Fab Four configuration which would become world famous, CLEARLY not "the worst musicians in the world" even AT THAT TIME (all caps for emphasis, as this seems hard to grasp for some reason :)).

Beyond that, AGAIN, Jones has himself apologized for his comments, HIMSELF calling them "silly" and "wordvomit", saying his daughters took him aside "because of some silly things I said in two recent interviews ... & I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON." If only others could learn that same lesson.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  3. People who claim to know jackrabbits will tell you they are primarily motivated by Fear, Stupidity and Craziness. But I have spent enough time in jackrabbit country to know that most of them lead pretty dull lives; they are bored with their daily routines: eat, shag, sleep, hop around a bush now & then . . .No wonder some of them drift over the line into cheap thrills once in a while; there has to be a powerful adrenaline rush in crouching by the side of a road, waiting for the next set of headlights to come along, then streaking out of the bushes with split-second timing and making it across to the other side just inches in front of the speeding front wheels.

Why not? Anything that gets the adrenaline moving like a 440 volt blast in a copper bathtub is good for the reflexes and keeps the veins free of cholesterol.

nuage420b likes this.
  4. And I thought Hunter S. Thompson was dead...

Best regards,
    Raoul Duke

-Asdfgh-, nuage420b, Roger W and 2 others like this.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yes, it's not like a music insider would've had them drawn to his attention earlier than the general public. Your "holes" are wishful thinking. But thanks for your "timeline as proof". You're obviously not digging in.

:D

Who mentioned 21?

6. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Keep speculating on unlikely hypothetical longshot possibilities, it's all you've got. AGAIN, I'd refer you to Quincy's own apology. What are you even arguing about? Jones himself has disavowed his statements. Get over it.

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Some guy I've never heard of said something about this other guy who's a household name. Who really cares?

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    At least you aren't digging in.

Show me where he disavowed his statement? You don't seem to understand what the apology was.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Again, the pride in ignorance is a feature not a bug.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I haven't been in this thread in a long time. Can someone post a link to Q's apology?

11. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007

Doctor Intrepid and SBassman like this.
  12. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Was Jones sorry, sorry or 'sorry'?

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    His apology post was a general one. I didn't see him taking back what he said about McCartney. I guess some bass fans didn't notice what he said about Brando and Richard Pryor along with Michael Jackson. That's what lit most folks up.

Funny thing, folks close to Pryor and Brando concur about their sexuality. So apologizing for talking about it didn't make it untrue. Not sure why some twist an apology into admitting to a lie. Not exactly surprised though.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Google "Quincy Jones apology".

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    :) I should probably stay away. :) When I first heard this stuff, I had some harsh inner monologue words for Mr. Jones. :)

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  16. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I remember way back when, when this thread started. I honestly never really had heard of Quincy. So I did search google for him. He does have an impressive record. Sadly, I simply can't stand people who bash other musicians. I would also expect better from him when it comes to being judgemental. But that's for a different thread on another forum I guess.
    I will say that he reminds me of another guy...Paul Schaeffer
    On a lighter note:

17. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Just to reiterate, as I said earlier:

... AGAIN, Jones has himself apologized for his comments, HIMSELF calling them "silly" and "wordvomit", saying his daughters took him aside "because of some silly things I said in two recent interviews ... & I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON." If only others could learn that same lesson.

Sounds like a disavowal to me. He didn't run down a list of specific transgressions, but did make a blanket apology for the silly things he said, and the wordvomit. In other words, he did not stand behind the various comments he made. McCartney has said that Jones also spoke with him personally to apologize. But I guess if we don't have a wiretapped recording of it, it's not admissible in a kangaroo court? Ye gods. Here's Paul's recounting of that personal apology:

“He rang me, and I’m at home on my own,” said McCartney. “And I’d finished work, so I had a drink, and now I’m grooving at home, I’m cooking, I’ve got a little bit of wine going, I’m in a good mood, and I don’t give a [crap]. So I get a phone call: ‘Is this Mr. McCartney?’ ‘Yes.’ ‘Quincy would like to speak with you.'”

“Because he’s always worked through security guys. I said, ‘Hey, Quince!’ ‘Paul, how you doing, man?’ ‘I’m doing great—how are you, you [motherfugger]!’ I’m just jiving with him. ‘Paul, I didn’t really say that thing—I don’t know what happened, man. I never said that. You know I love you guys!'”

And if THAT's not a disavowal, then nothing is. It's hard to believe anyone is still flogging this dead horse. It is what it is.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    AGAIN, nice to see that you aren't digging in. Too funny.

Quincy's apology statement says exactly what it says. Twist that any way you NEED to.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    But a comedian who bashes others is cool? Got it.

I don't really care what celebrities say about other celebrities. Never been on the hero worship tip and don't plan on starting. The holier than thou attitudes towards people who talk about others, especially negatively. It happens all day long every day. Oh my.
    ;)

FunkHead likes this.
  20. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Well, you're just in denial. This is ridiculous. Quincy Jones:

‘Paul, I didn’t really say that thing—I don’t know what happened, man. I never said that. You know I love you guys!'”

Twist that any way YOU need to. Yeesh.

One further point - the argument that Quincy Jones was somehow talking about the Beatles pre-Hamburg, or in some very early incarnation before they became proficient, is factually impossible. Jones's statement (or fabricated statement, according to his McCartney apology) very specifically includes Ringo. Ringo did not become a Beatle until after they'd signed a contract to record with George Martin, a point at which they were obviously not deficient musically, able to crank out hits and crank up audiences. So that little dodge doesn't conform to reality, either. But I'm guessing you'll "keep digging", or trolling really, at this point. Grow up.

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021