Quintas carbon fibre doublebass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Big Bass Daddy, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Anybody out there have any experience with Quintas
    Basses? There web site is quite interesting (www.qstrings.com)and considering all the concern about humidity and traveling, sounds like it could be a cool alternative.

Thanks for any input.
  2. yeah, They've been discussed here more than once. My opinion? Not worth the money for anything other than a grade school or something. They don't sound very good, they'll never get any better than the day they're made, and for the money you can get a pretty good wood instrument. About the only advantage I can see is that they're just about indestructable, so if that's what you're going for, right on... Oh, and they look and feel really wierd. :meh:
  3. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    They're also PC. It takes alot of wood to make instruments and bows. If you're really into preserving trees, here is your alternative.

I've never tried one but it might be interesting.
  4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    You might find that the chemistry used to produce one of those basses is not so PC. A guy fells a tree, splits it, sends it to me-I chisel it into a bass. The only chemistry is in his chain saw.

Oh and I forgot to mention that those basses are nastee!
  5. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    as far as i know there's no actual chemistry involved in using a router (unless you're taking the chain back to the electricity-generating plant that sends power to your wall socket), whereas jeff is probably making the point that *chemicals* (nastee ones:)) are involved in the working of carbon fiber.

sean p