1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quintet for violin, viola, cello, bass, and piano

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by rsratner, Jul 18, 2012.

1. rsratner

rsratner

May 12, 2009
    Woonsocket, RI
    JR Music
    Hello. I am a Boston composer and have recently completed an as yet unperformed Trout-like quintet. If anyone is interested to see the score and hear a computer performance, please go to my website, http://richardratner.com . Thanks.

2. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Interesting stuff, the second movement in particular was really nice but I'm not sure it would be very playable bass wise. Those harmonics are not very melodic sometimes. The other two movements are interesting as well, IMO the first movement was a little repetitive and drawn out, people can only take so much of the rhythmical stuff at once, the third movement was definitely interesting. Overall, I liked it, it definitely keeps you on your feet. It would take quite the group of musicians to do it justice though.

On a side note, I really loved the adagio for strings and that orchestral poem. They were both very lyrical and intriguing. Wish there was a little more of that in the quintet. The schubert trout is a very melodic piece, to me that was really nothing like it but it was still a very interesting piece.

3. rsratner

rsratner

May 12, 2009
    Woonsocket, RI
    JR Music
    Thank you for your kind words. The full return in the first movement is still up in the air for me - I have a version with an abbreviated return that I don't like as well. But if I get signifiantly more feedback about it being too long, I'll cut it. I've run the harmonics by my buddy who is a terrific player, and he says they should be ok. I deliberately went in a direction unlike the Trout because, well, the world already has a nice Trout, no need for a second. Know anyone who may be interested in premiering it?

Re the "poem", I presume you mean Todesfuge. It actually premiered this past Sunday outside of Prague. I should have the recording next week, and I'll put it up on the site and put a little note here.

Again, thanks so much for listening and your words. BTW, the Andante is another piece where I worried about the return. That version from Sweden has been replaced - the new version incorporates the pizz figure from he B section into the return of the theme. It's been performed a few times, but I don't have a recording of sufficient quality to put on the site.

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Congratulations. It would be nice to hear the cello bass duo performed on instruments.

5. rsratner

rsratner

May 12, 2009
    Woonsocket, RI
    JR Music
    Thank you, and I couldn't agree more. Got any ideas?