Quintet Music

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by sdjbass, Mar 11, 2003.

1. sdjbass

Mar 11, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    I am looking for some good chanber Quintet music, (2violin, viola, cello, bass) if you have any suggestions, that would be great. were in high school but play at a professional level so anything is possible.
  2. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
  3. chaurett

chaurett Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Storrs Mansfield
    The Trout would be a great piece but it's for one violin, vla, cello, bass and piano. For good high school students I would recommend the Dvorak Quintet. I think International publishes it. You seem to think your quintet is "professional" level so you may want to try the Schubert Quintet in C Major. It's originally for 2 vln, vla, and 2 cellos but it works great if the bass takes the second cello part and plays around with the octaves a little. It's difficult though. Also, if you’re feeling adventurous Ludwin Music publishes some music for quintet written by Norman Ludwin. The pieces are fun but again, fairly difficult. Good Luck.
  4. George F. Schmidtt

George F. Schmidtt

Dec 21, 1999
    I was glad to see that others enjoy the Schubert String Quintet Op.163 also. I play the second cello part pretty much all at cello pitch and we get compliments everytime we do it. Some have gone so far as to say claim that his is the "most beautiful chamber work ever composed." I ususally find I hae to fight the cellist who would prefer the second cello part over the first but in the end, once they hear the bass play both parts, they agree and let the bass do the second cello part. The piece pretty much ahs the cello doing the first violin lines. I'm not sure why Schubert did not write it for the bass originally. It wasn't for lack of talented bassists so it must a been a function of the group he wrote it for which, at the time, had an extra cello.
  5. Baron von Basso

Baron von Basso

Nov 3, 2002
    Hoffmeister Quartets. #2 is my favorite. There is a recording available of three of them and the music for those three is all available throuigh Lemur Music. Although they are only quartets, they work nicely. The instrumentation is SOLO BASS, violn, viola and cello as supporting instruments.
  6. basscomp

Feb 7, 2003
    New York, NY
    The Gran Quintet in Do of Bottesini would be a great piece. It is difficult for the first violin, but quite playable for the rest of the instruments. I posted a notice of new edition I recently published on my own. I don't agree that the Dvorak is of a high school level. It is a serious sophisticated piece and not easy to put together. The Bottesini is less serious, but still very good musically and the piece is not that hard to put together. Some of the Boccherini 2 cello quintets sound quite good with the bass playing the second part. The "Trout" is great music, but uses piano and no 2nd violin, and the violin part is even more difficult than the Bottesini.