Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quirks Among Amp Builders/Luthiers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Oct 22, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Would like to hear any stories you know of about the eccentricities/quirks/odd behavior of amp builders or luthiers.......(I realize much of this is hearsay).

For instance, I've heard Walter Woods once stopped building amps and became incommunicado for quite some time when he ran off for some kind of adventure in an N. African desert.

I've heard Ray Rogers can "disappear", too.

And no one still seems to know why Lane Poor "disappeared" from the planet just when his pickups/preamps were becoming red hot.

Thanks!

2. Maybe he didn't want to change his name to 'Lane Rich' because of the success... :D :p (wow, I'll really stretch for a bad pun...)

3. Hah! Lets see MJ beat that!! :D

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and what's up with nick tung rolling out permanently to get his restaurant on? his basses were bad...

5. rickbass

That's a good hoot DeLorean!

I saw a post by a guy at The Bottom Line who said one weekend he went out of his way to take a little side trip to check out Poor's shop and all the equipment was still there and a light was on but you couldn't get any LP pickups any longer :bawl:

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX

Sure we do. Just no one's talking. I heard from a friend of a friend that Bartolini and EMG tied him up and threw him into a trunk before taking him for a concrete bath due to the popularity he had emassed in such a short amount of time:rolleyes:.

I've heard that Carl Thompson has made his minimum scale length 38" on even 4 stringers because he's ashamed of his freakishly long fingers. That alone resulted in him being called chimpanzee hands around the playground through his youth. Now he wants everyone else to share in his dark and sad fate :eek: :D .

Hows that for heresay?

7. rickbass

Hearsay is cool FiXeR because, in our world, sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    [hearsay]

I've been to Lane's Shop, gosh a while back (1996), he was still making pups then... He wasn't making his Basses at that time and I think that his personal/mental decline was starting around that time.

From what I last heard is that he is on a 'Hiatus' from the Pups-manufacturing for a while. Haven't been to his shop since then so I really don't know anything currently... He was a master of very good clear/clean pups, too bad he isn't still building them these days.

[/hearsay]

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    "Rumors" I've heard are that Rob Elrick purposely bought all the Wenge he could before his biggest competitors could, forcing them to charge extra for wenge necks.

I've heard that Mike Tobias secretly wishes he was allowed to build neck-through basses again, but because of his non-compete clause, he can't.

I've heard Ken Bebensee is a big stoner who builds whatever he dreams of at the moment and doesn't really care what he builds next.

I've heard a friend of mine approached a luthier (whose name I will not repeat here) at a NAMM show to inquire about the feel of his 6-string basses, but that luthier wouldn't let him play it.

I've heard Mike Fuller (of Fulltone fame) is so crazed about his design work that he shrink-wraps all of his circuit boards so they cannot be reverse engineered. If you try to remove the shrink-wrap, you'll destroy the circuit board. If you do have a legit problem with your pedal, you're not allowed to have anyone except him work to repair it or you'll void the warranty.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't doubt that this is true at all. I can't imagine he'd spend all those years building neck-throughs and learning the sonic variations of different wood combos, and then just decide it's bolt-ons only from here on out.

11. Yeah, there's an epoxy coating over the circuit board in the pedals.