1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quirky Eden WT800C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CosmicRay, Apr 27, 2010.

1. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

So, the Eden WT800C is just one year out of warranty and it started to make crackling, popping, generally unpleasant noises
    whenever it so chooses.
    Yes, I've tried both speaker and instrument cables. It isn't that.
    Just curious as to how many other players have experienced a similar problem.
    Not only Eden, but any brand.
    And how long do you let it sit at the repair shop, until it happens again? Just curious.....
    Then after they can't find anything, it starts to happen again at a gig?
    Just curious.....:atoz:

2. Have you tried playing through the effects loop? That turned out to be the issue with mine-dirty loop

3. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Haven't had your experience but did you try swapping in a new preamp tube, and cleaning all inputs and outputs with contact cleaner like Caig's Deoxit?

4. CosmicRay

No, to both, I have not tried anything yet....but I suppose it's worth a shot....
    When gear becomes unreliable, it's a nightmare.

5. it could be the effects loop and not just being dirty.
    it is a switch jack. somtimes that switch can get stuck on.
    a tech can install a little switch to make it either on or off and eliminate that problem
    i myself had to have that done and its bullet proof now.

also inside the amp there is a power ribbon which is only crimped on
    it should be hard soldered on to prevent errors.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Any amp, or any electronic device, will periodically need some technical lovin'. Aside from some basic maitenence, as described above, sometimes you need to drop it off for a short visit with the old amp tech. With regular periodic maitenence, an amp can rock out for decades.

7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    You might also clean the circuit board cable connectors inside.

8. CosmicRay

Hey,
    Thanks to all of the replies and suggestions. I will bring it to the shop and hopefully it will be a minor problem.
    Guess I'll be using my LM Tube 800 in the interim. Which really is not a bad thing....:)

9. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    Those switch jacks are a retirement fund for techs. I had trouble with my SVT II (non-pro) when the power amp in jack got crud on it, a PA powered mixer amp-in jack, as well as the effects loop on my Eden WT550.
    They should be out-lawed.
    Or cleaned from time to time.