1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quit my band, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Trevorus, May 12, 2011.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm thinking it was the right decision because I wasn't having fun, did not agree with the way the band was being run/managed. For a 4 track EP, they hired studio musicians instead of using their band. The reasoning being that we didn't have the time to practice 5 days a week, 5 hours a day to be prepared, so we'll hire someone to do it. What would you guys do?

2. You did the right thing. You can't play at 100% when you don't enjoy what you're doing. I did the same thing 3 years ago and ended up finding a much better act to join and I haven't looked back.

3. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,

So whoever gets the CD and then wants to hire the band will notice they don't sound the same? That's BS!

You did the right thing.

4. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    yeah good move thats like 3 kinds of stupid

5. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Think about that ex girlfriend. Yeah, you know the one.
    Pretty, sweet....but a total psycho.....
    In your head it's all summer days and smiles, but the reality was a nightmare. You're not remembering the petty arguments and the WTH moments. Just the warm feeling of holding her, and that look on her face....etc. etc. etc.

Same with the band.
    Sure you miss the band, but the reality is that you were miserable.

Move on.

6. You did the right thing. There are other musicians out there, you'll know when you find the right fit.

7. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    For a band, that's a bad idea, UNLESS!!! the band is good enough to learn the parts for a live reproduction. For a singer/songwriter this is very common.

But if your not cool with that and other issues its time to move on.

8. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    good move on your part bro.... I went through the same thing last year, it took me a little while to put a new band together but damn, I am having so much more fun now.... The whole idea of hiring studio musicians to record their 4 song demo is quite redundant to say the least IMO.... I would never go that route.....

9. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    Yeah, for a singer songwriter with a fill in band that makes sense, but for a band? I'd be out of there quick, too. I don't like that kind of separatist stuff.

10. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Studio Musicians? Most people I know can't even afford their own instruments.

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    wow,... if i was in a band that did that i would be soooo insecure right now!!!

and yeah, i'd quit after a quick rant session. (let me take a moment to imagine why the whole band didn't quit with you)

oh... okay! the money was good...., right?!!

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    He forgot to mention 'unpaid' studio musicians....

13. Happens ALL the time.
    Hell, Bob Glaub lays down all the bass for Lighthouse by example.

Management comes in with $$$ and they start calling the shots.

Wait till you walk in and they have a stylist there telling you that you don't know how to dress and hands you some clothes.
    THAT'S always a fun moment!

14. ...not a band...

15. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Are you in NIN?

16. To be honest, I was thinking the same thing.
    You're doing 4 songs.
    They were/are already written.
    Unless you guys (and no disrespect meant) have tone that completely blows, timing issues and pretty much zero level of professionalism when it comes to recording, I don't blame them.

Let me ask you this though, did you get brought on board as a "member of the band"?
    Or we're you brought in as a "hired gun/live show" player??

Sounds to me as though you were just brought in to play and nothing else.

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I was in the band. Not just the hired gun. But the bass player has pretty much been doing all the writing recently, and it's really put me to the outside.

18. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    ^ Wait a minute. I though YOU were the bass player. Now I'm even more confused.

19. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Maybe he means the studio bassist??? But then again, why would HE be doing any writing?

20. Yeah, I'm confused now too....

And sorry, if you were "in the band", that means equal footing in decisions etc....and who is/was "they" when you say "they hired studio musicians".