Quit my job this morning

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lowner, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I reached my breaking point after 4 years. I was a customer service rep in the collections department of an electric company. I have to endure verbal abuse and cussing by customers. When I first started there you could warn the customer 3 times and if they didnt stop then you could hang up on then. Then it went to just warning them no hang up. Now we cannot even warn them. just sit there and take it. We are out sourced by this electric comany so even if the company so it is highly unlikely that a customer would find our office if they tried. i have been sexually harrasesd by customers, verbally abused and had my life threatened but despite the fact I told a supervisor nothing was ever done. But having customers cuss at me and just be rude because theycant take responsiblity over for their bills just finally got to me. It was either go off the deep end or keep my sanity but be jobless for a while.
    Also , we could not get nasty to a customer no matter how nasty they were to us.
    What would you have done if you were in my shoes?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There's nothing your manager could have done, even if he wanted to do something. I've done CS work before, and I found angry customers to be extremely funny, and I actually laughed on the phone. Some of them even laughed with me and apologized. Also, I'm a believer in an adult having the freedom to leave if they don't like it, and you excercised that freedom. Most people wouldn't have the guts to quit. I hope everything works out.
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

I'm sorry, but I always found it completely moronic... that some schlub doesnt pay his electric bill, gets his service turned off... & then thinks its YOUR fault. Its a tough job to be sure, totally underappreciated.

I guess you just have to become calloused to it, & realize that dirt bags are just being abusive, because thats all they CAN do.
  4. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. I just walked out of my job last week after only 1 year, because I couldn't handle these people anymore. I worked as a relay operator for MCI/Verizon's IP Relay service. Not only did I have to deal with people yelling at me, thinking I was a telemarketer, I also had to deal with ignorant, selfish deafies, Nigerian scammers attempting to commit credit card fraud to unsuspecting businesses, and lame ass teenagers making prank calls. No matter who the caller is, we had to remain "detached and desensitized," particularly during the scam calls. So here I am getting my resume together and compiling a list of jobs I'm interested in applying for. That's really all you can do.
  5. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I worked as a CSR for DaimlerChrysler. We got our fair share of bitchy and rude customers, but I am sure it was nowhere near the level of stress you had to deal with working in the collections department asking people to pay their bills. 4 years of that must of been dreadful. I salute you for leaving! If your job is starting to take a toll on you and is actually affecting you mentally then F*** it, for lack of better words. You will find something better.

Oh by the way...was the money at least good?
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice move. I get tired of people who complain, but don't do anything about it. There is a guy I work with now who complains about his job. I looked at him the other day and said "just quit dude, no one is making you work here".

7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I work at a pizza chain, in one of the not so good areas of town. I deliver, and I have become the most bitter and resentful person because of it. But, I have a second job which is picking up, and my wife is working on a nursing job, so I will be leaving very soon. I just can't handle the amount of pressure that is put my way. Some of my fellow employees are just as bad, too. They are conniving and rude. So, it'll be nice to get out of there. Customer service does suck, as I have had to do it in 3 of my jobs. But, when (in my current job) someone gets abusive on the phone, you can pretty much just call them out and tell them that you are not able to stay on the phone with an abusive customer.

But, recently, I have been telling myself that it just doesn't matter, because it really doesn't. I am just there for a paycheck, and that's it. So, I just do whatever keeps me away from other people, and just do what I have to do.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

One of my son's early jobs was as a telemarketer in a credit "consulting" business whose stated goal was to get folks deeply in debt to put all their debts in the one basket and pay off that even bigger debt in installments that in the end proved to be worse than their situation before.

The stories my son came home with and the abuse he got from BOTH ends, the customers and the BOSS who wanted more and more. Finally my son had to quit because he couldn't take it anymore.

Some of those customers were the worst deadbeats, but many were folks who got in over their heads due to severe illness, accidents, loss of jobs due to downsizing and outsourcing or company closings, divorce. My son heard so many sad stories everyday, he couldn't even get out of bed. He has a much better job now and has never looked back.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sure you will be able to find something you will be happy in.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I hope so too. I am a firm believer that if you aren't happy at your job, move on. I've seen too many people stay at crappy-to-them jobs, and watched it ruin their lives away from work. OTOH, I've worked with plenty of people who bring their crappy home lives to work!

11. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

I would've quit my job this morning. :)

It's really not worth staying in an abusive job. All it does is make you unhappy everyday, and most of the time people tend to bring that unhappiness home with them and it affects their family too. Good for you that you had some cajones to quit.
    My job is CS for a hotel, I occasionally deal with the abusive customer or snobby corporate pen pusher, but I like everyone I work with and the pay is decent. Just depends on how much crap you can take, like someone said if it starts effecting you mentally then it's a good idea to move on to something else. :) Good luck in your search, hope it works out for ya.

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I would have found another job first, then quit. Good luck with the job search.
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    All I can say, if you want to take people's crap all day and all night long, be a cop. I'd quit right now if I didn't have over 20 years in.