Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quit my side band yesterday.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JWC, Jun 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My side cover band is no more an obligation anymore. I quit the band. It had alot to do with the fact that I am dedicated to my main band first and foremost and also I really can't find the time to drive out to his house (long way out) to practice. But the thing that got me most was his attitude. The singer that is. He said, "there will be no drinking onstage in this band." Uh, sorry, I am 23 years old, and if I feel like having a brew or 2 during the show onstage I will do so. Not that I wanna get s-faced, but if I wanna brew onstage that's my perogative. Also, the picked 90% of the set list. Side bands should be fun and hassle free. Oh well.

2. Ah, yes...
    BUT, your side band may be their main band.
    If that's the case, then you either follow their rules or get lost.

Of course, if it's a side band for all those involved, then whoever's dedicated as band leader should get the final say.

If THAT'S also not the case, then...well...maybe he just doesn't want any screw ups on stage that could otherwise be prevented.

But then again, what do I know? I'm just some 17 year old kid in Hong Kong who hasn't done half as much as most 17 year old kids around the world. :rolleyes:

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Well Sheep, it is their main band, but we started it from scratch together. I was a founding father of this side band. Plus, I don't recall donning this cat the leader either.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly, if it makes you unhappy, then everyone is better off if you leave.

5. Ok...provided he wasn't dubbed the band leader, if it's his main band, then that should still count towards something.

For them, when they go out on a Saturday night to play at a club or something, that's their main exposure, but for you it's just some other thing.
    Given that, they're more likely to be concerned with what goes on with the band on stage than you are, since they're there for the exposure, and you're there more or less as a buddy helping some friends out.
    That said, the gig is therefore more important to them than you, and if they want to make a good impression then they're obviously going to be more concerned about all the minute little details, whereas you...probably couldn't really care all that much.

When it's all said & done, though, I'd say your leaving the band was probably the best thing for you and them. :)

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Gotta go with the Sheepster on this one, plus why would you start a band that you wouldnt be dedicated to? Doesnt make alot of sense to start a band then get pissy when the rules dont always go your way. The singer usually has the most input on the set list due to the fact that he has the most limitations with the vocal range. As far as a beer on stage, dont see much of a problem with that, if it is that much of an issue with the rest of the band, have one after the set. No big deal.

Mike

7. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Nobody my own age is gonna tell me that I can't drink onstage. Plus, he said drinking messes up your tones. Well, maybe if you are singing, but I know which fret I am playing, so I know the tones. Plus, I don't like stupid rules. Especially set by someone with no real authority.

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I dont know why i even try.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    obviously they have some authority - you're out of the band, aren't you? sure you quit, but that was obviously the choice they gave you - follow the rules or leave.

and if the rules were so stupid, why did everyone else in the band agree to them?

you know what? i like these guys already, and i haven't heard them play.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You know, it isn't often that I find myself agreeing with JWC, but this is one of the few times. I don't drink on stage, myself, but I don't see a problem with a beer, or two during a set. It'd be one thing if there was a history of JWC getting too drunk to play correctly, or peeing on the drumkit during setbreak. Then, maybe the "Okay, new rule--no drinking during the set" makes sense.

My general philosophy towards side gigs is this--If I am going to play by your rules, then you can pay me a flat fee as a sideman. You want me to wear a tie? Fine. Guarantee me $75.

It sounds to me like the singer was assuming a role in the group that JWC wasn't willing to go along with. In which case, he did the only thing he could do--he quit. I don't see the point in coming down on him so hard on this one guys. Sure, there are times when a JWC Smackdown is called for, but not this one, folks.

Good luck on finding another side gig (if you want one) that you can live with.

11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Well thank you Bassmonkee. Yes, people, this side band is an all-cover band, which usually are put together for fun, not record contracts. The drummer, who actually played in my very, very first band with me quit the other day as well and I didn't even know until today. I asked why he quit and said, "I like to play in bands for fun....and some son of a bitch trying to rule me isn't gonna allow that to happen." Good answer bro!

To JT:
    I do not have a history of getting drunk at shows either. Contrary to my behavior on this board, I am a serious musician. I will not allow alchohol to bring me down to a lower level of playing. But....I like to have a couple beers during a 3 hour set. Drinking 2 beers between songs, over a 3 hour span isn't gonna get me drunk, sorry :)

It is more the principal that someone thinks that they automatically have the right, from the get-go, to start dictating who can and can't do what. Especially considering I found all the members, and booked all the shows (which now they can have em' if they want em') he was WAY OUTTA LINE.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, you'll forgive me for thinking otherwise, based on your behaviour here, right? ;)

13. There was a time in my life that I drank pretty heavy, but still never had the desire to do it on stage. Isn't the feeling of being up there a great enough high?

14. Hmmm...
    well, I've never experienced any substance-induced highs, but for me the feeling of being up on stage doing what (almost) no one else in the audience can do is satisfaction enough. :)

15. Hey every-one can sleep dude. lol hahaha. Well JWC, its whatever makes you happy, why should u be in a band that you feel uncomfortable with. Some ppl may have an opinion about your viewpoint on the band, but then again your attitude towards music may just gel with your other band so you should harnass it and make it work.

If you feel your decision is right then good on ya. Devote all your time to the thing you feel is the most worthwhile. ;)

Merls

16. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Well JT, I certainly can see where you were coming from though :)

Gruff, I used to drink a bit too, but never get plastered on stage. And drinking 2 beers throughout a 3 hour set ain't gonna get anyone "high" or "buzzed". A cold beer is just enjoyable to some, in moderation of course.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    JWC ~

No, you're not a "serious" musician. You are prone to drunkedness, you think it's funny to drive drunk, you think it's funny to harass cops who stop you for driving drunk, you get frustrated when you can't pick up drunk women between sets, and there's no doubt in my mind that you get drunk at gigs. Your side band is probably saying "thank god."

When we started my current band I said "no drinking on stage." I didn't think I was the leader, I was just making it clear that I wasn't going to play with people who drink on stage. Those clowns who think they play as well or better under the influence of alcohol are just self-deluded simpletons. Maybe grow up a little, eh?

18. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    With all due respect,
    Munjibunga,

You have no clue what you are talking about. While what you say about the drunken girl and the cop incident is indeed correct, you are only making an assumption (and we know what assuming does) :)
    You don't know anything about my musicianship and how serious or not serious I am. Am I a serious human being? A serious talkbasser? Not all the time. But when I get on stage I am doing the one thing that I feel truly feel confident and skilled at. Playing bass. And I feel insulted that you accuse me of being a stage drunk. Your comments are unwarranted and unfounded.

19. When I'm on stage with band A, as bassist, I don't drink. Nor do the guitarist and the drummer. We need our coordination.

When I'm on stage with band B, as vocalist, I like a couple of beers before the show. Relaxes me and my voice, gives me some ~false~ confidence to face the crowd :)

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    JWC ~

You've repeatedly come into this forum, blabbering on and on about how drunk you were when you did this stupid thing or that one, and you expect us to believe you don't have an alcohol problem?

You drink on stage? You're not a serious musician. I don't care how well you tell us you play. And if playing the bass is the ONE thing you feel confident about, it begins to explain your obvious lack of self-respect and self-esteem.

Don't take any of this too personally, though. It's a common problem. I've just seen too many lives ruined by alcohol and other drugs. Alcohol doesn't benefit you in any way. It just drowns out problems that might otherwise be solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.