Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quit Smoking

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by biergott, Dec 19, 2002.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I want to quit smoking but am having trouble actually doing it. I tried the gum and heard the patch gives you messed up dreams so you don't get much sleep. Anyone else quit smoking and have the solution?

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    You can do it. We know you can.

3. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Here's a problem I forgot to mention....everyone in my band smokes and so does my wife (who lets me spend money on bass and time in the band)

4. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I was once a "support partner" for one of my employees who quit. The person she relied on to kick her butt (pun intended) if she ever considered lighting up. She used the patch and you're right about the dreams. She said that they began with that THX surround sound bit and had credits at the end telling who starred in them and who directed them. She ended up taking off the patch right before bed and putting a fresh one on first thing in the morning. She's been a non smoker for almost a year now. She smells much much better now and was recently apalled at a meeting we attended where someone came in who had obviously just been outside to burn one. After the meeting she asked me "Oh my God! Is that what I used to smell like??" I told her it was. She said that she had never known and was very embarrassed now. I'd say having your wife and bandmates all smoke is going to be a real challenge, My employee said she could never had done it if her husband had not agreed to quit at the same time. If you do manage to quit, just make sure they all will everything to you since odds are in your favor that you'll outlive all of them! :D

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    my pops quit recently. how?

he wrote my little sister a check for $5,000 and told her to cash it if he ever puffs again. been about six months now, and he won't even touch one when drunk.

i want to quit as well, now that i'm gettin' on in years. i quit a couple years ago for about six months, in the summer, but the minute mid terms rolled around, i was burnin' 'em up. but, i've taken the semester off to devote myself to work, so maybe now....

anyways, start a fitness program, punish yourself w/ extra reps for every cig related thought. that's what i'm gonna try. at worst, i get in (cough hack) shape.

6. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I used to smoke a pack or two a day. Did it for about 10 years. Haven't touched one for over 5 years now. The patch can help. Over all the big thing is that you have to want to quit bad enough to endure all the withdrawal symptoms. Also you have to keep making the decision to not smoke over and over again. It was awful for the first three weeks. Now I can be around people who smoke and I really don't desire it any more. As said before you can do it if you want to badly enough.

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I should really count myself lucky... In september, I was in an accident that left me in a hospital for 3 days and basically bedridden for another 5 weeks. Plus, the painkillers I was on really left me with no desire to smoke... So I quit, and I am the first to admit that I probably have had the easiest time quitting for any smoker. But I still do have the urges a little, and I have one every now and then. But I haven't had more than 3 in one day, and I go several days without smoking any at all... it really does get easier as you go along... you will get to a point where you just don't think about it anymore! Besides, the money you save is amazing! I am trying to talk my wife into letting me save the money that would have gone to smokes for another bass!

P@

8. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Listen everybody, it's very simple:
    smoking=stupid
    not smoking=smart
    Which one would you rather be?

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I quit 3 months ago, no gum, no contract tricks, no sweets, nothing, just rolled my last cigarette from the last bits of tobacco I had and stopped.
    In the years before I smoked really heavily. A pack of halfzware shag (40 g) lasted for about 2 days.
    I had surprisingly little problems, the euphoric feeling that you actually did it, the return of your ability to smell, etc. helps a lot. Just encounter every temptation at a time, and try not to think about it too much.

Funny thing was, I still liked to smoke when I quit. It was the side effects (tobacco on the floor, keyboard, the smoke in the room etc.) that made me quit. Strange (and stupid) but true.

10. I've quit for 5 days now and it's not easy...still get the occasional nicotine jitter fits...but honestly it's mind over matter. I don't believe in the patch or gum...I personally think it's BS and eats up the money you would be saving from not buying smokes. Although I never smoked more than half a pack a day, I can already breathe alot easier and my throat gets less tender in the colder weather we're experiencing in the phenomenon that is winter. The real test is gonna be when I get drunk, cause that's when I tend to be weakest...but I actually think that this time I'm gonna beat the b*tch. Cold Turkey ain't easy and it sucks to be around family and friends who smoke, but think of it this way...will you really miss hacking up the nasty brown lung tissue in the mornings? I sure as hell won't. Cancer of the lungs, mouth, throat, tounge, etc. is much less likely...quit before you get to the point where you don't care anymore...take my advice with as many grains of salt as you like and stay strong.

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Geez is that what happens? I'm glad I've never smoked!

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    My brother in law just had a son and decided to quit. He said he couldn't look at his new baby and know that he's making a conscious decision to take years off of his life that he could spend with family. I bet him a sushi dinner that he couldn't make it a year and I'm about to lose that bet.

13. While my father was laid up in his hospital bed, waiting for a quadruple heart by-pass operation, summer 2001, the doc told him that if he continued to smoke he would be back in hospital within 6 months and they most likely would be unable to do anything for him.

He was 63 at the time, had been smoking since he was 15. He stopped there and then. Didnt use any gimmicks like the patches or gum. Just plain old "fear of God". He hasnt smoked since. However, he still wants one everyday.

I've tried quitting myself. Had a week of dreams on patches earlier this year too. The dreams are not pleasant, and you'll be exhausted after them.

14. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Thanks for the support and ideas...time to give it a shot.

15. biergott... Do this..

Take a pack of fags, open them up and leave them to go rotten on your car dash board.. After about 2 weeks.. Light one of those bitches up, and I'll tell ya, you will NEVER wanna smoke another ciggy again after tasting this.

Keep the rest of that pack, to remind yourself what to look forward too..

G'luck :D

16. wrap individual cigarettes in plastic wrap and then put them in glasses of water (make sure they stay dry) and put the glasses in the freezer, whenever you know you cant control your urges and absolutly need one pull out a glass and wait for it to defrost. by the time you can get it out your craving wont be as bad and youll put it back in the freezer
    :)

17. I quit about 7 years ago. It was the February after my Dad passed away and after 12 years of up to 2 packs a day and several failed attempts I was ready to quit. You need to be in the right frame of mind and commit yourself to quitting. It may sound silly but I just kept on reminding myself that I would NOT allow myself to be controlled by my addiction to nicotine. It kept me pi$$ed off enough at myself for risking my health and wasting money to follow through. It's tough but you can do it. After all, I did it and NO ONE thought I could!

18. Well I did it. I got pretty smashed tonight...in fact I'm still ever so tipsy. While I had massive cravings to smoke, I managed to make it the whole night without bumming one from a friend, or even buying a pack even when I was near them at the store. I didn't think I could do it, but when you put your mind to it, it'll get easier and easier to accomplish each time you do it. Keep the faith brother, you're not the only one trying.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I quit after 12 years, I went to a hynotist. Should have been harder, it was so easy! After several unsucessful attempts on my own, I went with a guy from work. That was almost 10 years ago.....

Good luck, whatver happens. You're giving yourself the best Christmas present.

20. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Assuming you mean hypnotist :D : So did my girlfriend - she used to smoke heavily but has now been smoke free for 2-3 years - and then my brother and his wife (on my gf's recommendation), also with success...

I still smoke, but not so much... :rolleyes: