1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quit whining about Fenders being so popular...it could be worse

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Mar 17, 2020.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Imagine a world where the Alembic Series II was the standard...

SII_FiguredWalnut_Front.jpg

You darn sure aren't going to get a clone of a Series II that'll shut up the Alembic lovers for $100.

2. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN

Yeah, I'd quit if I was required to have one of those.

I've never complained about Fender being the standard, I just wish they'd up their QC game so that the value proposition was higher.

That's just IMO, of course. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who think Fender does just fine.

3. I'm perfectly fine with fender being the standard. If I could only play fenders for the rest of my life I'd be fine. BUT them relying on name power has allowed brands like Yamaha and Ibanez to come out with much better copies for much less (especially used). Better instruments for less since day one. For that I thank Fender. I give them one thing. No one can beat their classic design and ability to interchange parts.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think they by and large do fine with everything but pickups. Don't know what they're thinking with pickups on some of them.

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Well, if that meant every studio had an Alembic for sessions - I'd be cool with it. But they won't. Cheapskates.

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    TrevorG, design, Microbass and 10 others like this.
  7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Some are bad, but I really like the new Yosemite pickups in my American Performer.

8. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I wish their overall fit & finish / attention to detail was a little better. Other manufacturers like Lakland and G&L put them to shame in that area, at least in my experience.

9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Definitely have to cherry pick through Fenders , but when you find a good one , it’s a great bass.

10. +1. Warmoth, Suhr, Sadowsky... Fender done right!

FlyingFinn, TrustRod, non and 8 others like this.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    True, but I find that to be the case with all mass production brands.

MauiMike, TrevorG, LBS-bass and 3 others like this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Some very nice Fenders in the high end, but it’s been spotty as hell over the years. I get a kick out of the price uptick in “vintage” 70’s CBS Fenders, back in the Day, they were rightly considered crap. Amazing what time + hype can do. I’m refinishing a 90’s era MIM P bass, was pretty shocked at the overall bad fit and finish, but it will be a decent beater when I’m done with it. I always did like J’s better, wouldn’t mind a 70’s style bound and blocked sunburst, the classic.

woodyng2, TrevorG, TrustRod and 11 others like this.
  13. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I am ok with the way it turned out.

krimo, teh-slb, 4-fingers and 3 others like this.
  14. I had a MIM Precision Special (Cowpoke). Nice bass, sounded and played well. I sold it to a friend and at some point the finish on the back of the neck started cracking and lifting. Not sure what the issue was.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That does prove Jimmy’s point because even a cheap Alembic copy is going for $528.

DJ Bebop, picnic01, LBS-bass and 8 others like this.
  16. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    That contorts my face when I look at it.

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Why would people whine about any bass being popular in the first place? I don't get it.

18. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    The $100 Alembic copies would have painted on stripes simulating the laminated neck-thru design. Other than that, you probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.:thumbsup:

19. Neko

Neko

Feb 29, 2020
    Switzerland
    I am a Fender Fanboy, so I am fine ;)

teh-slb, whero, aarjamson and 9 others like this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Yeah, Leo did what Kalashinkov did: He designed a tool with a design that's so forgiving, it can be made almost anywhere and still work. That's great for Fender, as they can have whoever they want make Squiers and such. It's also tough for Fender, in that anyone can make it, and as the design doesn't have anyplace where the IP can be protected by trade secrets, and they only trademarked the headstock, it's a free for all out there, with decent cheap stuff being made and stuff that's better than Fender also using the same basic designs.

The tree doesn't know when it's growing whether it'll be a Fender, a Lakland, or a Glarry - the differences are all in small details.

TrevorG, Vinny_G, krimo and 19 others like this.