1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quit whining about Fenders being so popular...it could be worse

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Mar 17, 2020.

1. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    London, UK
    We got plenty of other stuff to whine about these days fam.

2. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    London, UK
    I was looking for a classic bass for my arsenal. Went to a store, tested out a MIA Jazz Deluxe (as it was called back then). Nice, pretty good.

Then tried a MM Stingray. No contest. Got the Stingray and it's still my most comfortable bass to play.

YMMV, IMO, etc. etc.

That's why there's so many basses, for all us of different types.

FRoss6788, Malak the Mad and IamGroot like this.
  3. YMMV, IMO, etc. etc.

Fender
    d5fa79eb008fa89b19b4cc9eaa82396c--june-carter-cash-johnny-cash.jpg

Alembic
    images.jpeg-2.jpg

Stingray
    images.jpeg-1.jpg

4. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Here's something most of us can agree on. A musician plays better on an instrument they are comfortable with. That doesn't mean every player finds the same gear as comfortable as the next. If a boutique bass with platinum plated tuners and an iridium pickguard is what it takes for you to perform at your best, then by all means get one. If the bass player in the group your band is opening for uses a hacked Bronco through a Behringer combo, that's fine, too. Some of us have many instruments. If we could/would have only one it better be the right one (even if it has yet to be determined to be the best bass for metal) for us. Whichever instrument appeals to you and provides you with the opportunity to play at your peak, that is all that matters.

nateh415, El Thumpo, Vinny_G and 2 others like this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    My complaint is that Fender doesn't make enough lefty's. Please don't mention all the usual p's and j's. I'm talking about the Mustang original or even the Mustang PJ in left handed and sunburst or vintage yellow with a maple neck. That would probably be my go to bass nowadays.

People can complain all they want. Fenders are an industry standard. Nothing's going to change that. Most of the successful off-shoots are Fender copies anyway. I also am having a love affair with Music Man now too. They finally came out with a lefty Music Man with maple neck. $2300 USD. Gotta get a ski mask and look for a bank with lotsa cash. :bag:

Polish Thunder likes this.
  6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
  7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Fixed that for you. :bookworm: :D

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Testify! :woot: :hyper:

FRoss6788 likes this.
  9. It’s not a need, it’s a want. You lust after the beautiful woods, ergonomic curves, etc. Yes, I would be reluctant to bring a 7 grand bass to a bar gig.

AudioTaper and Polish Thunder like this.
  10. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Thank goodness. I must be the only bass player who doesn't care for this model, or most models, of alembic. In sure they sound fine, but it's not for me. I'm not above the fray. I'm lusting after a Smith bsr6....

Basta-bass likes this.
  11. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Reluctant is an understatement.
    My thoughts are more 'no way in he(ck)'

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    That old chestnut, again! :rollno: Leo did not invent the electric bass, that distinction goes to Bud Tutmarc (during the time frame that Leo and Doc were only tinkering around with amplifiers - guitars were not on their minds at the time, outside of lapsteels). What Leo did do was perfect the instrument to the point where he could sucessfully market it to the masses. Even then, it took quite some time to really catch on and be accepted.

13. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Jeff, do you mean Paul Tutmarc? IIRC, Bud is the son.

Wisebass, Jeff Scott and jamro217 like this.
  14. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

"Let's spread some musical misinformation" is its own thread. This was just a mistake.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Yeah, they look so much alike I always confuse the two! ;) Yeah, I meant Paul.

Wisebass and jamro217 like this.
  16. 405BassGuy

405BassGuy

Jul 15, 2019
    U.S.A.
    IME, the only one I found to be top-heavy (neck dive) was my Alembic. :D

FAS.jpg

JimmyM likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Honestly, me neither. I still love my two Fender P's, and kinda sorta like my P Lyte :D , but my main Fender is a Hammersmith PJ that has a very comfy neck for my tastes and weighs only 7 3/8 lbs.

uwrossl likes this.
  18. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    Yup...Still have mad love for Fender and a Fender Jazz was my first premium bass I owned and third bass overall. Got a smoking deal on a closeout of their "color of the year" from the previous year for $775 on an American J. This was back in 2000-2001 I think and it changed my thoughts on how a bass should sound and play! If I came into money to burn I'd probably pick up something from the custom shop but in all honesty I'd probably use that money to by two more Moollon's! :laugh:

Heard good things on the Hammersmith's. I know they've built a couple for Tim Lefev as well as a version of Oakly's tractor bass that Tim played for the better part of a tour with TTB.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    One split pickup, one volume knob, one tone knob. How much more standard can you get?

Of course sometimes, that's all you need, a good ol' P Bass and there's nothing like it.

20. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Who's whining? I think it's fine,we're lucky to have Leo's legency, Pbass, jazz,MM,G&L,etc.available for purchase today. Fender has done a decent job of it. when they haven't other companies have stepped up! like op stated it could be worse... Gibson could be the bass players intrument of choice! just think of the cluster "F" we could be in with that Company at the for front of our craft. of course it is all speculation. think of an alternate universe where Gibson had the patents for Leos designs & innovations, sensibilities!! Gibson has totally dropped the ball on their own designs! And has totally mishandled their own trademarks! isnt it every other manufacturers fault that fenders are popular? If Fender has/had a flaws you would think the competition would jump all over it & exploit it. other companies are just as responsible for the "leader of the pack" being so popular. US/We consumers are very smart usually, If something comes out better it sells out quickly, & is copied relentlessly! Their are plenty of other companies/manufacturers to make improvements on fender's short comings. No one company is perfect.

FRoss6788, IamGroot and LostJohnny like this.