1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quit whining about Fenders being so popular...it could be worse

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Actually, if the Fender marketing machine hadn't been as successful as it was, putting a fender bass in nearly everyone's hands, I think Burns would have been more prominent. Burns and Fender developed their basses in parallel but Burns had a number of innovations Leo didn't want to even consider.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tru dat. Low impedance pickups, deluxe bridges, complex truss rod systems. But Burns basses just didn't have THE sound. They were huge at one time, though...no doubt about it.

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    If Alembic were the standard there would be far fewer electric bass players in the world, or most would be playing Dano's, Gibson, Hofner or the aformetioned Burns, maybe a Rick or two as well

JimmyM likes this.
  4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I did the same thing with my 2002 MIM Jazz Bass. I was able to play many Jazz Basses at various stores, and this one was the most resonant, unplugged. (If the wood sounds "dead", there's nothing you can do.) I preferred it to all of the non-Mexican ones I tried out. Each piece of wood is different.

Bajo Clarkko, JimmyM and bucephylus like this.
  5. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    so not allowed to called boutique basses ugly? no mention of brand,

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Didn't see anyone call boutique basses ugly, least of all Alembics.

7. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    i posted here a while ago about not liking any boutique basses, and loving fenders, it got removed and i got a warning about " not calling any bass ugly" is this russia?

Polish Thunder likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No, you're just mistaking a privately owned forum board as a place where you have freedom of speech.

Texican, bcbckr, Bajo Clarkko and 4 others like this.
  9. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    i've had 2 issues here on this forum with this, and am very taken aback on the lameness....

no named brand in my mention, just a vague statement, and bam

10. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

For a hundred dollars?
    No.
    But maybe $800.00.

If Alembic was the standard there would be hundreds of moderately inexpensive Alembic copies that I could choose from.
    Instead of hundreds Fender copies to ignore.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Kinky Afro and Passinwind like this.
  11. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Investment. There are a lot of private buys making good money on deals right round the world.

Polish Thunder likes this.
  12. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
  13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I don’t really care if Fender is popular or “the standard” on which others are based. Often the first version of something is the basis for others. I have a “P” bass but it’s not a Fender.

My “issue” with Fender is all the signature models with the slightest of variation from other signature basses. I mean, it’s marketing and if people will buy a bass because it’s a “insert your favorite bass player” model, I guess your marketing department is doing its job. For me, it’s mind boggling to look through the Fender catalog and try to figure out what the hell to get.

Kinky Afro and Jeff Scott like this.
  14. I hear you, but Many companies have used 'Signature Models' Fender may be one of the more prolific along with Markbass. Also a lot of higher end companies have 'Endorsers'. I had a '75 P Bass that served me well till 2000 then a 2001 American P bass till 2010; thought I would experiment with MM Reflex and then Stingray but I am back to Fender with Ultra Precision; in mass production Basses I am good with Fender. If I could have afforded them back in my prime I would have taken a serious look at Sadowsky and Roscoe. I believe Fender is popular based on Familiarity, Top notch Marketing and Quality of products in their Various Price Ranges.

15. I think of the Signature models as a "treat yourself" sort of thing. There are successful professionals (ie: not full time musicians) who are basically keeping the boutique makers alive. They also buy those signature and custom shop basses far more than pro musicians do. Might as well give them something they're willing to pay for.

Yeah, but you don't have to have a signature model. I got one of the Fender FSR PJs with the black block and binding jazz neck, and I think it's one of the better Fenders I've ever played. It's just a little bit more "deluxe" but not loaded up like their "Deluxe" models - but it's a really nice Fender bass and was pretty reasonably priced.

You certainly don't need to have a signature model to make money with a Fender bass (if that's your goal) or to just enjoy it at home.

16. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    bcbckr, Bajo Clarkko and Kinky Afro like this.
  17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    My P is a Roscoe Classic. Love it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  18. Kinky Afro

Kinky Afro

May 24, 2012
    Melbourne
    I owned a USA fender jazz with the s1 switching and it was ok. It was solid but kind of klunky. I guess if your looking for a entery level mass produced bass a MIM or MIJ might be ok but if you play alot and actually have some skills I would go for something else. As your playing improves you might realise your bass needs to improve as well. Personally I'm at a stage where I would never own a fender again, so many better basses out there.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  19. Kinky Afro

Kinky Afro

May 24, 2012
    Melbourne
    With everyone making cheap copies of Fenders, its like "Fender" the standard for low standards.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    gebass6 likes this.
  20. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    Thanks for the chuckle with “if you play a lot and actually have some skill” :roflmao:

Guthrie Trapp, one of the most in demand and most recorded Nashville guitarists has used a MIM Telecaster for ages.

Joe Dart and Rocco Palidino both do quite well on Squiers. Imagine how awesome these top level pros will be when they start playing a lot and actually get some skill?! I can only imagine!!! :laugh::thumbsup: