1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quit whining about Fenders being so popular...it could be worse

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Guthrie uses Floyd Cassista Tele but has a Road Worn Tele. Joe Dart has some MIM'S and Squires but uses Fender American Jazz and his Musicman Signature. Rocco Palidino does use Vintage Squire and Others. I am sure they sound good on all of them but they didn't limit themselves to MIM AND Squire. And I'm guessing there have been some upgrade work done. A top quality Bass rewards playing a lot and developing skill with hard work.

2. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    In 2010, former Mermen Bassist Allen Whitman, toured with Joe Satriani playing a Lake Placid Blue MIM P Bass, as can be seen the live DVD, ‘Satchurated’. He seemed to do ok with it. (I do believe that he played a MusicMan 5 String for one or two songs.)

If I recall correctly, he had a Nordstrand pickup installed, though.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't disagree with any of that, but I've heard off-the-rack basses that cost $100 or thereabouts that sound as good as anything. They might not have you jumping for joy feel-wise, but if you pick them right, you can get a usable sound for a recording out of any of them. I used to have two SX basses that cost me like $110 each, and I'd put their recorded sound up against anything out there. I'd put their playability quite low, but even if you hate Fenders, you can still pull out a good cheap clone that'll work to do a track when someone absolutely insists on it. That wouldn't happen if a really expensive and distinctive sounding boutique bass caught on. There was a time Alembic basses were a real contender for most requested. Thankfully only certain elements of their design caught on big and other basses came along to dilute the boutique market enough to get cheap ones that are pretty good :D

Bajo Clarkko likes this.
  4. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    Well I’m sure those cheap basses suit you now, but when you “start playing a lot and actually develop some skill” you’re going to need to upgrade to a $7k piece of depleted rainforest lol.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Having owned 5 Alembics in my time, I resemble that remark.

bcbckr and Texican like this.
  6. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    No one is saying they only use cheap basses. But they are kind of known for having instruments that Kinky Afro listed as only suitable if you want an entry level mass produced instrument... and of course UNSUITABLE if you “play a lot and actually have some skill”. My point was that those instruments seem to suit those highly skilled working pros just fine. In fact, Guthrie Trapp has often been vocal about how people need to be less concerned about their gear and more concerned with improving their skills as a musician. He is openly critical of gear snobs, and I respect that.

Cris II and Bajo Clarkko like this.
  7. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    I’m not judging lol, just saying it’s not a necessary purchase to enter the elite guild of musicians that “play a lot and actually have some skill”.

That being said, I’d love to have a nice Ken Smith like the one in Kinky Afro’s avatar pic.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Where on earth would we find any of them?

9. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    In the Rainforest? :smug::thumbsdown::roflmao:

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I didn't think you were judging at all, and I liked the turn of phrase. Made me laugh.

That's not a guild I shall ever be allowed to join.

This place often gives me GAS and I'm trying to avoid it and concentrate on increasing my chops so the only things I'm allowing myself to buy are maybe some new pickups. Many of the basses I have are modestly priced and when I can make them sound awesome, maybe I'll spend the $ again. BTW, I got all of the Alembics for bargain prices.

Texican likes this.
  11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Yes, with their axes in their hands.

Texican likes this.
  12. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    So do lumber jacks prefer p basses or Alembics? I never knew that’s why the called guitars axes.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hehehe! Well that wasn't the point of this thread to argue about value per dollar so I left that part alone. But it was a good rant :D

Texican likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No, we do that just so we don't look like wusses to the real lumberjacks.

Texican likes this.
  15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Like these...

bcbckr, 4andnomore and JimmyM like this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Before he became a lumberjack, he was a homicidal barber. And he only lasted about 2 minutes as a lumberjack.

Your comedy is not pure.

:D

17. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    bcbckr, 4andnomore and JimmyM like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Texican likes this.
  19. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    Don't know much about Alembics but I would rock that in a heartbeat.

JimmyM likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well today that privilege would cost you right around the $12,000-13,000 mark entry level, but Alembic does make cheaper ones that you can get for around $3500.