Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quit your job and make a record!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tanuki, Jan 5, 2005.

1. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    discuss!

assuming no familly comittments then why not?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Wrong forum?

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I did..

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The only real skill I have is being an *******, and there's very little money in that, and what little there is has already been snapped up by comedians, pundits, people with more than 7 strings on their basses*.

*Oh, snap! He didn't just go there, did he?

5. Because making an album takes a serious amount of money which would be non-existant without a job?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Because while having panties thrown at you might seem pretty cool on stage, it's a crushing blow to find out the banks don't accept soiled women's undergarments as payment, or even collateral.

7. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    I like to eat.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm doing okay.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have made a couple of records. And I have a real job.

Off to Miscellaneous.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Interesting side note: Alex Lifeson from Rush worked as a plumber on the side during the first THREE Rush albums . . .

11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I would if I hated my job. Say if I was a human laxative tester, I would diffently quit and make on album.

But I want to make an albums and tour and do all that before I get a "real" job and have a "Family". Then again I'm only 15. So what do I matter.

12. You know that feeling after you bought something you don't really need, but don't want to give it up?

Right here.

:D :spit: :bawl: :smug: :rolleyes: :bag: :ninja: :eek:

13. I hate Roaches!

14. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    I know that all musicians have to supliment their income, i am not a starry eyed kid having cocaine wet dreams....

Its more about earning your money from music, including teaching, maybe doing the odd kid's workshop to suppliment gigs

You still have to work hard, probabley harder, but you end up with more time to do music.

Im meant this more for those who have yet to get serious commitments, family and financial, throwing yourself in at the deep end so you are forced to swim...

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know a country/western writer/player right now who decided to do that - I just saw him yeaterday.

He's squatting in an abandoned apartment right now (no heat - in Wisconsin!). I think he's starting to go off the deep end. He still has no doubts that he's going to be big-big-BIG any day now; this is with NO manager, NO band, NO agent, NO contract. He's going to make an album himself, market it himself, and get rich. I tried talking to him about getting a job - he said it would disrupt or otherwise harm his creativity in songwriting. His most recent composition is a 1-4-5 called 'The Barroom Blues'. He said that it's something that's been incubating in his mind for years, and it finally came all together for him recently (further proof, I'm sure, that his writing is beggining to really blossom now). I said that he may have to change the name, because I think I remember it might have already been used.

Ya.

..That reminds me: I'd better get off of TalkBass, and get some work done, or I'll be FIRED from my job!

Joe

16. Well making a record generally is not the way to make money while playing music - in fact I'd bet that more bands lose money than make money when putting out an album.

Live gigs and session gigs pay better than making a record will IME.

17. +1

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, I love those shirts. I wonder if anyone who's ever seen a "Quit your job, make music" shirt instantly walked up to their manager at Burger King, threw their name tag at them. Jumped on the counter and proceed to play air guitar/become a rock star.

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Only if making a record guaranteed me a 6 digit income. Otherwise it would nto be worth it for me.

20. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    this seems like a cool idea for a movie. A dude has a mid life crisis quits his job buy a pro tools studio and makes a album